Am I supposed to ground this or something?

Gilly McFinn

May 14, 2019
Deer Park
I’ve had to replace the 1/2hp Intex pump on my above ground pool.
I found this cheap 3/4hp on fleabay. It’s basically generic (I payed for the 2yr warranty, so whatever.).
Well the instructions are a bit generic as well. Just a few pages of idiotic warnings (WARNING! Not for use as a makeshift dialysis pump.,...etc,...) What am I supposed to do with these 2 connectors? Anything?
I thought perhaps a ground, but there are 2 of them. Besides, it already has a 3-prong power cord. 850674F6-FC92-466F-83E0-0FD088408091.jpeg

That's the bonding lug and yes you need to bond this along with any other metal near or in pool. Usually a #8 bare wire

OK. I think I just figured out what bonding is, but someone in a thread said this is only for permanent pools, not Easy-Set, Intex, Coleman, etc,.. is that true?
My pool is a 10,000G Intex. It has a metal frame. There is no other metal in or on the pool. The only other metal nearby is our central air unit, about 4ft away. I wouldn’t have to bond THAT to the pump, would I?
And if I have to bond all this, how do I ground it?
Some people were saying to drive an 8" copper rod into the ground, but that was in Canada. Someone else said that isn’t the way it’s don in the U.S., but he neglected to say how it IS done.

Reactions: Nectarologist
Read Bonding an above ground pool and Bonding vs Grounding - Trouble Free Pool and Above Ground Pool Bonding Question and Aboveground pool bonding

You don’t bond to the house AC or any part of the house. Bonding electrically connects all of the pool equipment, metal walls and ladders, deck, and water together to keep them at equal potential.

Thank you!
I guess I should have been able to find that myself, but I get so distracted, falling down rabbit holes of information, I wind up snoring, face-down on the keypad and I forgot what I was looking for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.