Above Ground Pool Bonding Question

Jun 4, 2017
Pottstown, PA
Good Evening, we finished putting up a 30 ft diameter Above Ground Pool. This is also my first post on this forum, and it looks like there is a lot of useful information, I'm sure I'll be back. One of the last steps I need to complete to comply with local permit requirements prior to the inspection is to complete the bonding step (which I've seen many posts on and am sure most are familiar with). One thing I've been trying to figure out is how to attach the 8 awg copper bonding wire to my pool in four locations? It is a metal shell, but the vertical supports and bottom perimeter track are plastic, so the only metal to connect to is the Shell itself, but I have no idea how to create a permanent connection to the shell with the copper wire...except at the wall seam where I can use a grounding lug on one of the bolts. As for the other 3 locations, any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Hi and Welcome to TFP. No better time to start with the TFP method than with a brand new pool and fresh water that hasn't seen any magic pool store potions.

As for your bonding question a single bond point on the wall seam should be enough to pass your inspection. The resin frames make it very difficult to get the 4 points.

The other solution is to put a self tapping screw into the wall as close to the bottom edge of the wall as you can get making sure you well into where the coving is so you don't puncture the liner. I would only do this if your inspector says you have to. Make sure you explain to him that you have a non-metallic frame.

The other solution is to put a self tapping screw into the wall as close to the bottom edge of the wall as you can get making sure you well into where the coving is so you don't puncture the liner. I would only do this if your inspector says you have to. Make sure you explain to him that you have a non-metallic frame.

This is exactly the way I bonded my 30' pool last week! I used self tapping screws as short as I could find, I think 1" long and screwed them directly through the pool wall at the lowest point so the tip would only penetrate into the 8" of sand cove I'd build up inside the pool.

The other option is to put the screw head on the inside of the pool wall in the same location under the cove BEFORE the line is installed. That way, only the screw head is on the liner side of the wall, and you can duct tape over the head.

Thank you both for your advice. I sent the inspector an email to see if he would be okay with seeing just one bond location to the wall seam, otherwise I'll use the self-tapping screw advice for the other three bonding locations. Definitely a very helpful forum, thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.