Jul 6, 2015
Charter Oak, California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
It's Bob, I'm Baaaaack...

My two speed Pentair Pump just started talking back. Maybe 6 years old but 3 years in service..This sound just started. How much trouble am I in??

See Post #4 Below

Last edited:
I figured…I looked on line to locate a motor, but there’s a dozen possibilities. All just a little different. This Pentair Optiflo motor happens to be 2-speed/2-hp (not actually 2-hp I learned from TFP) So, I’m also fairly sure I don’t need a 2-hp motor, but I will need a 2-speed motor for California I think, Any suggestions as to where I can get help finding the correct replacement motor?? Do I need to purchase a pump and motor combination? Questions, questions, questions…….😂

It's motor noise and not pump noise, wouldn't you think??

Last edited:
Schnozz, a few years ago you might have heard us tell you to replace the motor (only) with a new seal kit. In some states that may be possible, but in CA they basically outlawed anything other than a variable speed. I don't think you have any option at this point but to get a VSP pump. Good thing is there are many more models to chose from today which give you more pricing options.

Also, if you can post up information about your plumbing runs (length of pipes used, rough number of 45 or 90 deg fittings, etc) to help do some rough head loss calculations ... from your signature it sounds like you have a fairly small pool with a 2" suction line and 1.5" return line. 2HP may be totally overrated for that plumbing setup.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A two speed motor like that has a centrifugal switch and sometimes a spring comes loose which makes the governor rattle. It might be worth a look at the back end of the motor.

Suction Side
40ft, 2” PVC
Single Run from the filter, Split at the pool into two suction ports. One suction port used at a time
11 - Long Sweep 90’s to the skimmer
2 - 45’s

Return Side;
40ft, 1-1/2” PVC
Single Run from the pump. Split at the pool to two returns ports. One return port used at a time
11 - Long Sweep 90’s to the Return
2 - 45’s
Motor Specs 1.jpgMotor Soecs 3.jpgMotor Specs 2.jpg

Maybe bad bearings.

Probably time to replace the pump.

The motor sounds slow for some reason.

Check the voltage and make sure that the impeller is clean and not damaged.

If the impeller is good and the voltage is good, it's probably time to replace the pump.

Maybe bad bearings.

Also, if you can post up information about your plumbing runs (length of pipes used, rough number of 45 or 90 deg fittings, etc) to help do some rough head loss calculations ... from your signature it sounds like you have a fairly small pool with a 2" suction line and 1.5" return line. 2HP may be totally overrated for that plumbing setup.
See Post #13

See post 11.

SPL rated motors have a service factor less than 1 so that motor is equivalent to a 1.5 HP uprated or 1 hp full rated motor.

Also, head loss is really immaterial for an AG pool without any water features. Plus in CA, you really have only one choice and that is a VS pump unless you want make a road trip to Vegas.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Maybe bad bearings.

The motor sounds slow for some reason.

Check the voltage and make sure that the impeller is clean and not damaged.

If the impeller is good and the volt

Schnozz, a few years ago you might have heard us tell you to replace the motor (only) with a new seal kit. In some states that may be possible, but in CA they basically outlawed anything other than a variable speed. I don't think you have any option at this point but to get a VSP pump. Good thing is there are many more models to chose from today which give you more pricing options.
@Texas Splash
I found this on the Leslies web site regarding Title 20 California Code, dated 2022:

The Title 20 California Code of Regulations has governed pool pump purchases and installations in California since 2008. Though these laws are nothing new, as old pool pumps need to be replaced, many California residents may still be left wondering, “What pool pumps can I buy?” Here, we’ll answer some of the most common questions about California Title 20 and how it relates to pool pumps and pump motors.

What does Title 20 say about pool pumps?​

Pool filtration pumps and replacement motors purchased and/or installed in California must follow the following basic guidelines:

• Single speed pumps must have a motor capacity less than 1 THP (total horsepower).
  • Pool filter pumps with a motor capacity greater than 1 THP must operate at two or more speeds, such as a dual speed or variable speed pool pump. The low speed rotation rate cannot be more than half of the maximum rotation rate.
There is also specific verbiage regarding the motor’s start/run type, label requirements, pump control settings and limitations regarding the date a pump or motor was manufactured. These regulations apply to pool pumps for both inground and above ground residential pools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.