Am I finished with ALK and Ph?

midlander

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2008
After more than two weeks of aicd/aeration, I hope I'm finished. I'm out of acid and hope I'm where I need to be. This mornings test results with my TF test kit:

FC 3.0
CC0.0
Ph7.2
ALK 90 (Although the pool store, which I cannot stay out of, said it was 60.)
CYA 30

I have a severe lack of confidence when reading Ph, so I keep running back to the pool store. They read results with a little light box that connects to a computer and spits me out a printout with results and how to fix it. They want me to raise my ALK which I spent the last two weeks lowering from 280. I know better! The pool still looks clean and sparkly and that makes me really happy!

IF your pool store is using little square vials with chemicals that they add water to and then read in the colorimeter connected to the computer then trust your readings and not theirs on the TA. We use the same system where I work and it has some problems with the alk and Ch tests and the titration (drop count) tests are much more accurate! Also, if you follow the recommenedation on the printout for raising ALK you will overdose your pool and need to lower it again.

Everything looks great except the pH which is a tad low. I am having fabulous results with borax! It and bleach are the only chems I've had to add this year after startup. My TA is staying level at 90 and my pH hovers at 7.5. I haven't had to do any further adjustments in four weeks (other than bleach, of course) and I am one delighted pool owner!

Attachments

• DSC08590 (800x204).jpg
    DSC08590 (800x204).jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 4
midlander said:
After more than two weeks of aicd/aeration, I hope I'm finished. I'm out of acid and hope I'm where I need to be. This mornings test results with my TF test kit:

FC 3.0
CC0.0
Ph7.2
ALK 90 (Although the pool store, which I cannot stay out of, said it was 60.)
CYA 30

I have a severe lack of confidence when reading Ph, so I keep running back to the pool store. They read results with a little light box that connects to a computer and spits me out a printout with results and how to fix it. They want me to raise my ALK which I spent the last two weeks lowering from 280. I know better! The pool still looks clean and sparkly and that makes me really happy!

Last year some of us were saying the same thing about the ability to read the pH 'colors'. I believe it was Waterbear that posted this color info for us. I found it to be helpful to me, so I got a copy on my desktop! Funny, after a while I don't need to refer to it anymore :lol:

Here is the info, and I will check w/Waterbear to see if I am correct that it came from him.
[ETA: Confirmed by Waterbear that he is the author! :lol: ]

above 8.2 purple
8.0-8.2 purplish red
7.8 pinkish red with a hint of purple
7.6 red
7.4-7.5 red with an orange cast
7.2 orange
7.0 yellow orange
6.8 and below yellow

So, general rule. My brain says red or redish orange good. All other colors need adjustment. Reading pH is so simple for some, but others of us struggle and may need a little extra help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.