Am I doing something wrong? Polaris 360 pressure side cleaner never seems to work well for long.

I run my Polaris 360 (w/o a booster pump) at 2750 rpm. I also have the return line to the Polaris open at 50% not 25% as shown in your photo. I have had the 360 for over 20 years and found it to be more trouble free than the robotic cleaner, I had for only 3 years. The cartridge filters I rinse off (clean) every 3 months and the filter basket on the pump, Polaris and skimmer are cleaned weekly. I hope this helps.

So after it switched down to low speed this eventually happened:

View attachment 473322

Decided to float around at the surface instead. I went out and jiggled it around and it went back down to the bottom.

No air was coming out of the returns, no leaks anywhere near the pump.
Hard to tell from this picture, but it appears that the orifice on the end of the sweep tail is very worn. If it is too large in diameter the Polaris will act the way you describe. Too much water goes out the tail not leaving enough to run the machine. Has no effect on the back-up valve.

Hard to tell from this picture, but it appears that the orifice on the end of the sweep tail is very worn. If it is too large in diameter the Polaris will act the way you describe. Too much water goes out the tail not leaving enough to run the machine. Has no effect on the back-up valve.
I do not think the sweep has ever been replaced and I know it once had a foam thing at the end but that has been long gone.

Here is a close up of the end of the tail

PXL_20230216_140803826.jpg

And then here is how far the water shoots, almost the whole length of the pool

PXL_20230216_140814261.jpg

Maybe I can rig this thing up to be a water fountain feature when the pool is clean.

So might there be some work I need to do here? When the foam bit was on the end it didnt last long as it would just shoot right off.

If I should replace this, where should I buy it? I see tons of cheap junk on Amazon and Ebay, no idea if they are real or knock offs, prices range from 15 bucks to 65$ for the tail assembly.

I do not think the sweep has ever been replaced and I know it once had a foam thing at the end but that has been long gone.

View attachment 473561

View attachment 473562

Maybe I can rig this thing up to be a water fountain feature when the pool is clean.

So might there be some work I need to do here? When the foam bit was on the end it didnt last long as it would just shoot right off.

If I should replace this, where should I buy it? I see tons of cheap junk on Amazon and Ebay, no idea if they are real or knock offs, prices range from 15 bucks to 65$ for the tail assembly.
Its worn, but not worn out. The "wear rings" are worn out. Though very few (actually virtually no one) does it, those split rings on the tail are supposed to be "rotated" like tires to keep the hose itself from wearing out. If you look at the one closest to the head it is probably like new.

A friend recommended to me the "Swasher" sweep tail for the Polaris. I've had it in my pool for about a year and find it to be very effective. It will take a very long time for the end to wear out and it keeps the water in the pool. I believe it cost me about $40.00 with shipping (no, I don't have Prime) for the entire sweep tail, didn't want to take the time to just replace the end. You still have to rotate the rings, and they are replaceable, but it seems to be worth it.

View attachment 473561

View attachment 473562

Do you have the stainless Allen head screw that goes on where the tail connects to the main unit? The screw can be turned in more to restrict how much water escapes through the tail. You might try that and see if it leaves more power for the motor.

Its worn, but not worn out. The "wear rings" are worn out. Though very few (actually virtually no one) does it, those split rings on the tail are supposed to be "rotated" like tires to keep the hose itself from wearing out. If you look at the one closest to the head it is probably like new.

A friend recommended to me the "Swasher" sweep tail for the Polaris. I've had it in my pool for about a year and find it to be very effective. It will take a very long time for the end to wear out and it keeps the water in the pool. I believe it cost me about $40.00 with shipping (no, I don't have Prime) for the entire sweep tail, didn't want to take the time to just replace the end. You still have to rotate the rings, and they are replaceable, but it seems to be worth it.
I never even noticed the rings before you pointed it out, I have seen them but never once thought about them. So these are supposed to do something? What do they do? I just though they were part of the hose and that was that. Now that I think about it, what is the tail supposed to do? I never replaced the foam end because I never thought it did anything. I replace my tires on my car, so I know what you mean, but I didn't know that these rings served any purpose.

For this Swasher, I see two models, a regular and a Pro, which one did you get?

Do you have the stainless Allen head screw that goes on where the tail connects to the main unit? The screw can be turned in more to restrict how much water escapes through the tail. You might try that and see if it leaves more power for the motor.

Went out and took a look, screw is still in there. Felt like it was turned all the way out. I screwed it a whole bunch back in. So this adjusts flow to the tail? What does it do for the unit as a whole if you increase or decrease tail flow?

I never even noticed the rings before you pointed it out, I have seen them but never once thought about them. So these are supposed to do something? What do they do? I just though they were part of the hose and that was that. Now that I think about it, what is the tail supposed to do? I never replaced the foam end because I never thought it did anything. I replace my tires on my car, so I know what you mean, but I didn't know that these rings served any purpose.

For this Swasher, I see two models, a regular and a Pro, which one did you get?

Went out and took a look, screw is still in there. Felt like it was turned all the way out. I screwed it a whole bunch back in. So this adjusts flow to the tail? What does it do for the unit as a whole if you increase or decrease tail flow?
Increased tail flow decreases water to make the Polaris move. It gets adjusted so that, ideally, the hose does not leave the pool surface (whip off the floor).
The wear-rings are just that, supposed to wear out while rubbing on the pool surface so a hole doesn't happen to the hose itself.
Don't know what the difference is between the two models. Their website, theswasher.com, only lists one. There was only one complete hose when I ordered mine about a year ago. Some good info on the sites FAQ section.

The foam tail scrubs the pool wall like a pool brush. The foam is sacrificial and wears. When I see the foam wearing I rotate it to get a different spot rubbing on the pool wall and floor. When it is close to disintegrating I replace it. They last 2 to 3 months in my pool.

The genuine Polaris foam tail scrubbers last longer but cost more than knockoffs you find on Amazon. I don’t find there is any real savings by getting the cheap foam ones. It is softer foam and you go through more of them.

The tail weight rings are supposed to be round. As they rub on the plaster they wear and get a smooth edge. You can move around the weights that are not touching the plaster with the ones that are worn smooth. Eventually they should all be replaced. The weights rubbing on the plaster also brushes it.

The Polaris cleaners are a finely tuned machine. As components wear like the tail and weights they need to be replaced for correct operation.

Last edited:
I dont think I have ever seen the tail on my Polaris move, so I didn't know anything was suppsoed to be swishing around until I just looked into videos on the Swasher. Mine just hangs out behind the unit and gets dragged along. I didn't know it was even supposed to do anything, I thought it was just a jet or something to help push it on it's way.

I guess I need a new one of these things. I'll record a video of what mind does tomorrow morning and post it for everyone to criticize.

I dont think I have ever seen the tail on my Polaris move, so I didn't know anything was suppsoed to be swishing around until I just looked into videos on the Swasher. Mine just hangs out behind the unit and gets dragged along. I didn't know it was even supposed to do anything, I thought it was just a jet or something to help push it on it's way.

I guess I need a new one of these things. I'll record a video of what mind does tomorrow morning and post it for everyone to criticize.
Should just need to turn the stainless screw at the sweep tail fitting outward a bit to get flow to it. Someone may have run it all the way in to try to get the machine to move better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Should just need to turn the stainless screw at the sweep tail fitting outward a bit to get flow to it. Someone may have run it all the way in to try to get the machine to move better.
It was turned all the way out. There is so much water coming out of the tail when I held it above the water that it shot almost the entire length of the pool, I dont even think I could get any more flow to the tail at this point. It was completely unscrewed when I checked it an hour ago.

It was turned all the way out. There is so much water coming out of the tail when I held it above the water that it shot almost the entire length of the pool, I dont even think I could get any more flow to the tail at this point. It was completely unscrewed when I checked it an hour ago.
Don’t get your hopes up but it’s worth a try as it’s free. When mine worked, the tail water it also shot pretty far. Would even spray the house windows, or even a couple times it got stuck pointed out of the pool and was on its way to draining the water level. 😳

It sounds like spending some time reading the manual would reveal many things that have been said here and much more.

Here's another good doc on troubleshooting.

The way to tell when filters need replacing is first to make sure the pressure gauge is working well. They're not very expensive, so when it doubt, replace. Note the pressure for new filters. When it increases 50% (some recommendations say 8 psi), it's time for another cleaning. When cleaning does not get the pressure back to the original reading and/or the interval gets shorter than you want to live with, then replace the filters.

Otoh as has been said, I guess you can use the speed of your robot as a "time to clean" proxy for the pressure guage.

An enzymatic soak agent helps dissolve some kinds of contaminants: skin and lotion oils for example. I think it gave my old set a few extra months. When using, it's good to have 2 filter sets because the soak should be a full day or more for best results. Install the alternate set to get the pool restarted while the ones removed are having a bath. A big trash can is a nice container for this purpose.

Last edited:
Did you ever TSP and/or acid bath the cartridges ? In my sample size of *1*, I gave mine a 24 hour soak every fall diluted 50:1 and they were going strong 8.5 years later when we moved.

If you still have them it's worth a shot for a spare set with nothing to lose.
What do you soak them in? They are a couple feet tall, I dont have any buckets that large.
Don’t get your hopes up but it’s worth a try as it’s free. When mine worked, the tail water it also shot pretty far. Would even spray the house windows, or even a couple times it got stuck pointed out of the pool and was on its way to draining the water level. 😳
I cant get the embedding function to work so here is a link to the video:
I have never seen the tail do anything other than be dragged along like this since we moved in 5 years ago.

It sounds like spending some time reading the manual would reveal many things that have been said here and much more.

Here's another good doc on troubleshooting.
This is a good link, I am saving this one. I am going to go make some adjustments today to make sure the pressure and RPMs are in line with what this is saying.

I have never seen the tail do anything other than be dragged along like this since we moved in 5 years ago.
When it’s working correctly that tail whips around all over the place. As it climbs walls and heads back down into the water, the tail tends to fling out of the water and squirt water at things around the yard. As a kid my mother was always having to clean the backyard windows because of that and like I said I lost several inches of water when mine got stuck on a step and was spraying it out of the pool.

Sounds like the cleaner doesn’t have enough water pressure for some reason, either worn parts, clogged filters or inadequate pressure in the system.

What do you soak them in? They are a couple feet tall, I dont have any buckets that large
I used a big green landscaper style bucket because I had one. A garbage can would likely work, or you can buy a 35 or 55 gallon blue plastic drum on the offer up app for $30.

I have made some adjustments.

• The nozzle at the back is now pointing to the 11 o'clock position.
  • Pump RPMs have been increased to 2700.
  • Moved the valve a bit more towards the middle but still heavily favoring the Polaris over the other returns. I saw someone said they can run it at 50%. When I did that the wheels really didnt move. Is it bad to have the valve turned heavily in one direction? Will I end up breaking the pipes or filter or anything?

The RPMs on the wheel when taken out of the water is now at 27, not the 28-32 that the manual wants but close. I could increase the pump RPMs even further but its already blasting. Someone posted they run it at 2750? Does that seem like overkill? I am always hesitant to turn the pump up so high because of how much power it uses. At 27 its moving at incredible speed compared to what I have been used to.

The unit is now climbing up the walls, I only saw that once when I replaced the quick connect fitting. Didn't realize it was even supposed to do that, I thought it just was meant to scoot around the bottom.

Filter PSI is at 14, which is also what the manual says it should be at. With my prior settings it was at 8. I thought you were supposed to keep filter PSI at a minimum but with the guide it says this is needed for the Polaris to work correctly.

Tail sweep still isnt moving. I have adjusted that screw every which way and its just being dragged along. I am going to get the Swasher replacement and see if that does anything. Prior to this thread I didn't know it was suppsoed to move so I have learned quite a lot in the last week.

Turning up your pump will not breaking the pipes or filter or anything.

You are discovering why Polaris cleaners really need a booster pump for proper operation. The cleaner needs water flow to power it. Otherwise it does not move as it should.

The Polaris Tail Sweep Pro is a replacement for the standard end piece of the tail and uses the same foam rubber scrubbers. The difference is that it does not spray water out of the pool. I can attest that it really works. It should be the standard tailpiece on all the Polarises that have tails.

I have learned more about the operation of this unit in the past week than I have in the past 5 years of living here.

How many hours a day do people keep their cleaners running? Since I don't have automation or a booster or controllable valves I have to program the pump for however many hours of run time directly. Pool is enclosed with a Florida screen so I am not worried about much getting in there and now that it's moving around wonderfully I expect things to stay cleaner than ever before.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.