Am I a true TFPer?

Floaty027

Bronze Supporter
Jul 6, 2017
San Diego, CA
Hello all,

Over the past four years I have been trying to maintain my pool with the TFP method and it has been going relatively well.
It has been pretty low maintenance and I enjoy very clear water, but if I don’t brush or miss a day of chlorine I’ll have some algae on the walls. As long as I brush once or twice a week and stay on top of FC my water is always crystal clear.

I understand I must do a SLAM and I understand the importance of removing every nook and cranny of algae. The problem is that my pool is at least thirty years old with lots of stains and plaster damage that provide plenty of places for algae to hide. I also have a big crack between the spa and the pool that water can transit through. I have plaster blistering on the stairs and every time a piece comes up there is some algae growing underneath it. Plus my bottom drain has algae in it that I can see through the cover but I can’t remove the cover to brush it because the screws are stripped and corroded.

I understand the SLAM and TFP method seems to work if you have a perfect pool, but how do I attain those same standards when my plaster feels like sandpaper and is falling out in places. Impossible to remove every bit of algae.

My CC is 0 and I will be doing an OCLT tonight and post tomorrow. I am also ordering a new set of chemicals for TF-100 as mine are over 2 years old.

Is it time to re-plaster? Can you maintain a relative TFP method with a little more brushing and physical attention? Or am I restricted from being a true TFPer until I can get my pool more manageable.

Thanks,
Jake

Attachments

• IMG_8475.jpg
    IMG_8475.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8472.jpg
    IMG_8472.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8476.jpg
    IMG_8476.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8473.jpg
    IMG_8473.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 28
Have you tried maintaining a higher FC level? With your issues as far as plaster, cracks, etc., using a target range of 15-20% of CYA may be appropriate. That leaves a lot more chlorine in reserve to attack organics that present themselves.

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus

What is your CYA and what is your target FC???

It is time to replaster, but I doubt the plaster status has anything to do with your algae issues.

Just trying makes you better than most, and a true TFPer.. :goodjob:

Thanks,

Jim R.

mknauss: Thanks for the reply. I have, but I wanted to know if there is more to an answer than simply increasing FC even though I know that would probably hold the most at bay especially with good brushing.

Jim: My CYA is currently 60. I have had fluctuation in the past without any water removal, but I do have a lot of splash out with the kids, also that leak I talked about probably helps drain some out. I know that is a little high, but I was waiting to drain when I have someone patch that crack which is soon or maybe I will replaster. I use pucks when I go out of town, but I always monitor CYA. That said my reagents are a little old and I will be replacing them.
Target FC is around 9. Which I usually maintain with liquid chlorine. I was asking about the plaster because I was wondering if if can harbor algae veterans. On the stairs, if I push down on the blisters they squirt out some weird life form, not sure algae or gunk.

Your FC sounds good to me... The target level FC will not kill algae, it will just keep your from getting algae.. Since you already have algae, you should SLAM..

So.. it appears to me you can either brush often to keep the algae at bay, or run a SLAM and get rid of it for good. Since you need to re-plaster anyway, I would pull up any spot were you can "squirt out any type of life form" :mrgreen:

Jim R.

Ahhhh Jim,
Just when I was feeling good about all this I found some more of that junk in a corner under the plaster.
There were these black marks that I just thought we old stains or something but they always looked odd. Well I dove around this afternoon checking everything out and behold these were not scuffs but algae under the plaster somehow.
I took a screwdriver and wire brush and try to pry it out cuz like you said I have nothing to lose now.

How much can I scrape/gouge of plaster before it is a concern?
How deep can I go?
How thick is plaster usually?
It's a layer of plaster over gunite I think right?

Thanks,
Jake

Attachments

• IMG_8495.JPG
    IMG_8495.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8492.jpg
    IMG_8492.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 12
I think just work those spots but don't go crazy. Keep a good slam maybe for an extra day or two as at the end you won't be losing much FC anyhow. You may get through the season if you don't let the FC come down low once you reach OCLT with meeting all three criteria.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.