SE Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
So, I need to do an OCLT. I HATE having to get up before sunrise!! Did I mention I HATE having to get up that early!? 😖

If the point is to see if FC drops in the absence of UV light, it got me thinking: would it work to take a pool water sample in a water bottle, place it in a dark place (a closet perhaps) for about 10 hours, then test it to see if FC was lost? This way one could do an OCLT on their preferred schedule.

Any reason this wouldn’t work?

As long as your entire pool (along with surfaces) is in the bottle ---- set an alarm.

Well shoot. ☹️ My sample bottle is just a little smaller than that. ☺️

I’m curious about the impact of things such as surface area, exposure to air, etc. Anyone?

Thanks.

Edit: As an experiment, I put a sample in a dark closet tonight and will compare results in the early morning when I test the pool. 👍

Last edited:
Well shoot. ☹️ My sample bottle is just a little smaller than that. ☺️

I’m curious about the impact of things such as surface area, exposure to air, etc. Anyone?

Thanks.

Edit: As an experiment, I put a sample in a dark closet tonight and will compare results in the early morning when I test the pool. 👍
I think the main issue is that biological contaminants may not be equally dispersed in your pool. They could be clung to ladders, lights, plumbing, walls, floor, etc.

If you take a random sample of water, you’ve taken that water away from those contaminants.

If your water is clear, your experiment will probably “work”. But that doesn’t mean it would be the same outcome in all scenarios.

Reactions: Saturn94
I think the main issue is that biological contaminants may not be equally dispersed in your pool. They could be clung to ladders, lights, plumbing, walls, floor, etc.

If you take a random sample of water, you’ve taken that water away from those contaminants.

If your water is clear, your experiment will probably “work”. But that doesn’t mean it would be the same outcome in all scenarios.

Good points. 👍

Yep, there is no sign of algae in the pool, but FC is dropping unexpectedly. It‘s likely my old salt cell dying, but I want to do an OCLT to rule out any other possibilities.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.