LGLDSR73

Jun 26, 2019
Boston
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been using Pool Essentials Chlorine for longer than dirt is old and I'm not going to have enough to make it through end of August into September. So Bleach is my option.

If I recall, Clorox is out but I've heard Walmart's Great Value mentioned albeit it's only 6% Sodium Hypochlorite. I know to avoid the scented products but was wondering if this would suffice. Note the "81oz = 120oz" on the bottle so there's something in there adding a punch to it. Link is here:

Great Value Bleach

Any input or suggestions greatly appreciated. On a side note, I do have two one gallon bottles of Blue Shield liquid Shock before I learned about the SLAM process.

Thanks,

Lyman

Lyman,

I am sure it varies by area, but I can buy all the 10% Liquid Chlorine (They call it Shock) I want at Home Depot or Lowe's without any problems at all.. :scratch:

To see your signature, turn your phone sideways...

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. Lowes and HD are out and due to the time of the season none are on order. Walmart said it was in stock so I drove up there today but for the second week in a row the shelves were bare with none on order for the same reason as Lowes and HD.

The Signature is there as you say, thanks!

Best,

Lyman

Note the "81oz = 120oz" on the bottle so there's something in there adding a punch to it.

That just means that it’s a higher concentration than ‘normal bleach’. Although there’s really no standard for normal bleach so it’s hard to tell exactly what the concentration is. But, for example it might be 10% instead of 6%. However, the thing that worries me about that particular bleach is that it says “low splash”. Usually the splashless bleaches have some sort of an additive to prevent splashing and you don’t want that in your pool. I tried to read the label, but I couldn’t find any list of ingredients, nor a listed concentration.

Do you have any local wholesale grocery suppliers open to the public?
I get a case of 6% every couple of weeks.
Been going there for the past 4 years.
Always well stocked.

My pool is on the smaller end so 6% works well.

Do you have any local wholesale grocery suppliers open to the public?
I get a case of 6% every couple of weeks.
Been going there for the past 4 years.
Always well stocked.

My pool is on the smaller end so 6% works well.
Thanks. Unfortunately not that I'm aware of.
Best,

Lyman

That just means that it’s a higher concentration than ‘normal bleach’. Although there’s really no standard for normal bleach so it’s hard to tell exactly what the concentration is. But, for example it might be 10% instead of 6%. However, the thing that worries me about that particular bleach is that it says “low splash”. Usually the splashless bleaches have some sort of an additive to prevent splashing and you don’t want that in your pool. I tried to read the label, but I couldn’t find any list of ingredients, nor a listed concentration.
"Usually the splashless bleaches have some sort of an additive to prevent splashing and you don’t want that in your pool". Exactly, and neither could I find anything as to concentration.

Thanks!
Lyman

Lyman,

I am sure it varies by area, but I can buy all the 10% Liquid Chlorine (They call it Shock) I want at Home Depot or Lowe's without any problems at all.. :scratch:

To see your signature, turn your phone sideways...

Jim R.
Jim,

If push comes to shove should I use the Blue Shield Shock that I have when chlorine is called for?

Best,

Lyman

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jim,

If push comes to shove should I use the Blue Shield Shock that I have when chlorine is called for?

Best,

Lyman

Liquid shock is normally just bleach under another name. I’m not familiar with blue shield shock, but I googled it and as near as I can tell it’s just 12.5% bleach. There’s definitely no problem using that. The only thing to consider is that if it’s old an/or has been sitting out in the sun then it may have lost some of it’s potency.

Liquid shock is normally just bleach under another name. I’m not familiar with blue shield shock, but I googled it and as near as I can tell it’s just 12.5% bleach. There’s definitely no problem using that. The only thing to consider is that if it’s old an/or has been sitting out in the sun then it may have lost some of it’s potency.
Thanks Brett. It's about two months old and has been kept in the dark in a cool basement. Nonetheless it likely has lost some of its potency as you say. The Blue Shield was bought at Namco and I believe it is manufactured for them. Past history now, I follow TFP across the board.

Many thanks again,

Lyman

For Liquid Chlorine or a suitable Bleach? Regardless if I can't locate Chlorine any recommendations on brands of bleach?

Thanks!

Lyman
Ocean State Job Lot is mentioned often on the forum carrying 12.5% liquid chlorine at reasonable prices.

Ocean State Job Lot is mentioned often on the forum carrying 12.5% liquid chlorine at reasonable prices.
Their website doesn't list chlorine but does have bleach:

Ocean State

I'll look for chlorine nonetheless. If they don't have it go with the bleach or use the Blue Shield Shock that I have?

As always, thanks.
Lyman

You absolutely can use that, and glad it helped. No need to wait more than 20-30 mins. There is nothing special about the "shock" vs "bleach", just with the shock it is a little bit less watered down chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.