Alkalinity question

Just started using the pool cover late this year. I noticed it does reduce the evaporation rate and chemical usage. I have not needed to add water for last few weeks. Ph is more stable, chlorine usage much lower.

Evaporation rate before using the cover was 1/8-1/4 in per day during hot summer. I think it was 50 to 75 gallons per day.

I use trichlor tabs from Demara Pool Supply during the summer and liquid chlorine during the winter (Calf). I think tabs are 99%. How does using liquid chorline reduce calcium hardness?

The CYA you previously reported was already too high ... why are you continuing to use trichlor tablets?
How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Using liquid chlorine has nothing to do with calcium hardness. The reason to use bleach is so that you do not continue to raise the CYA like your tablets are doing.

Your current plan is not going to work long term and you are likely headed toward a green pool.

I use trichlor tabs from Demara Pool Supply during the summer and liquid chlorine during the winter (Calf). I think tabs are 99%. How does using liquid chorline reduce calcium hardness?
My suggestion in the earlier post was that you might have been adding calcium inadvertently, by using cal hypo products in the pool for chlorination. If that were the case, and if you stopped using cal hypo in favor of liquid chlorine, then the addition of calcium would stop. This wouldn't reduce your calcium levels, but it would reduce the rate of increase in calcium levels. However, if you've only used trichlor and liquid chlorine, then my theory goes down the drain.

It is mysterious, as you reported (I think) CYA and calcium both doubling over the same period of time. If you are constantly adding CYA (via trichlor) but not adding calcium, I'd expect the CYA to be rising more quickly than the calcium.

Do you ever use any powdered shock products in the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.