Alkalinity question

jcaj558

Oct 4, 2017
New Lenox, IL
Sometimes I get my water tested at the pool store just to compare numbers. Why does the app suggest alkalinity between 50-90 and the pool store recommends between 125-150? Are those total alkalinity numbers or adjusted? Thanks in advance.

Please do not go to pool stores for testing. Use your own quality test kit that gives far more accurate results.

The industry standard of higher TA levels assumes you are using tablets as your sole method of chlorinating. Since that is not sustainable, TFPC uses a lower TA that keeps you from being on a baking soda / acid hamster wheel when using liquid chlorine or SWCG.

Please do not go to pool stores for testing. Use your own quality test kit that gives far more accurate results.

The industry standard of higher TA levels assumes you are using tablets as your sole method of chlorinating. Since that is not sustainable, TFPC uses a lower TA that keeps you from being on a baking soda / acid hamster wheel when using liquid chlorine or SWCG.

Thank you for the information. I realize it goes against the teachings of this forum but because I my lifestyle I’m kind of bound to using tablets. That said would you suggest I maintain the higher levels 125-150? If so, is that total alkalinity or adjusted alkalinity?

Adjusted alkalinity is pool store creation. Entices customers to buy more high priced baking soda.

If you only use tablets, do you have an issue with low pH and TA? Tablets are very acidic, and thus typical tablet pools become vinegar by the end of the season as the TA falls to 0 or below and the pH to 4.5.

Adjusted alkalinity is pool store creation. Entices customers to buy more high priced baking soda.

If you only use tablets, do you have an issue with low pH and TA? Tablets are very acidic, and thus typical tablet pools become vinegar by the end of the season as the TA falls to 0 or below and the pH to 4.5.
I don’t think I’ve ever had low ph or high alkalinity. My ph is usually around 7.6 - 8 and I’ll add MA accordingly. My TA reading yesterday was 130.

That is interesting. Unless you add lots of high TA fill water due to evaporation, I suspect you do not maintain a proper FC/CYA ratio.

Is the pool covered?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.