Alkalinity level at 70 in Salt pool....ok?

mihzyd777

Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2009
Manteca, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I'm using the Troublefree pool app. I just want to be sure I'm using it correctly...pool is Salt water and when I check Alkalinity it is at 70 and pH at 8.2, chlorine at 2ppm. So the only thing I should have to add is Muriatic acid to lower pH correct? The app says add 1 cup for the size pool I'm checking. The Alkalinity is perfect at 70 since it's a SWG pool is that correct?

Thanks!!

Yes, 70 is good.

That said, TFP recommended alkalinity is not related to the use or non-use of a SWCG. If you take a look at the recommended levels page you'll see that the recommended range of TA doesn't vary SWCG to liquid chlorine, or vinyl pool to plaster. The app also lists recommended ranges if you've entered your pool type appropriately.

Well the PH is high and MA will take care of that. Your FC is very low and should be brought immediately with liquid chlorine to target levels. The SWCG will only raise it marginally once your at your target but by design it's not going to bring it up fast enough to avoid an algae bloom.

What is your CYA??? The minimum FC is 3, so from my point of view your FC is way too low..

The idea is to try and keep your FC at your target or higher.. In my mind it does not make sense to try and keep your FC between your target and the minimum.. All it takes is one bright sunny day and boom, there goes your minimum.. There is zero downside to running your FC a little hot, and a large downside to running too low.

As far as TA goes, you should ignore it unless it tries to drop below 50 ppm.. Just worry about keeping your pH at about 7.6 to 7.9...

There are two sections to the CYA/FC chart.. Standard pool and Saltwater pools... FC/CYA Levels

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you all very much. Should I drop the pH a little lower say 7.4 since I do have a salt pool and a waterfall that I run which raises pH right? I do have to check CYA levels still

I'm using the Troublefree pool app. I just want to be sure I'm using it correctly...pool is Salt water and when I check Alkalinity it is at 70 and pH at 8.2, chlorine at 2ppm. So the only thing I should have to add is Muriatic acid to lower pH correct? The app says add 1 cup for the size pool I'm checking. The Alkalinity is perfect at 70 since it's a SWG pool is that correct?

Thanks!!
How are you testing? Give us your complete tested levels to see if there's something we can correct.

Using the drop tester kit. I have a Taylor kit too that I tested cya and it showed 50? But I may take it to Leslie Pool to have them confirm.
So here are levels:
Ph : now 7.8
Cya: 50
Alkalinity: 70-80
Chlorine: 2 - 2.5
Anything else I should check?Water temp 78

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.