Algicide and shock interaction

ToniMarie

Jul 1, 2020
Revere, Massachusetts
Hi all. I am a new pool owner and I'm learning a lot the hard way. I had some algae in my pool (more on the walls and corners of liner). Anyway, I used HTH Algicide which foamed my pool but did nothing. Then I used Seaklear Yellow Klear. I misread the instructions and added an entire bottle of it. My pool was still blue at this point. Then at the end of the evening I added a shock packet. My pool immediately turned lime green! My chorine level was sky high! I added in In the Swim Pool Water Chlorine Neutralizer which turned the pool back to blue again but made it super cloudy/hazy. I then added HTH pool clarifier to the pool and used way tooo much (i'm a hot mess, I know). So the company told me to run my filter all night - which I did. The cloudiness went and the pool is clear. However, this morning my pool is back to lime green.... Could it be metals/copper? I know for sure it is not algae! It's my own fault as I should have just NOT added the Seaklear and I would have been fine! I was adding shock to the pool since it was opened and never saw an interaction like this before! I'm at a loss for words. Someone on another site told me to purchase Bioguard Pool Magnet Plus which I shoudl be receiving by Friday. You think this will be fixable?? Below are a couple of pictures... at least it's clear again.. just trying to find a bright light...

Attachments

• Pool 1.jpg
    Pool 1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Pool 2.jpg
    Pool 2.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 15
Merged threads - TFP Mod
So I've never dealt with Copper issues or a green pool. This is the first time. Unfortunately, it was my own fault I added way too much algaecide and an entire bottle of HTH pool clarifier (totally misread the directions there). I let me pool run through the night and the cloudiness went away completely but work up to a lovely lime green water tone. Clearly it was man mad copper as I used something I shouldn't.. Do you think this will be fixable?

Attachments

• Pool 2.jpg
    Pool 2.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum!
If you added the 2# bottle of the Seaklear Sodium Bromide, and your pool volume is not huge, you now have a bromine pool. And it will be best to drain a substantial amount of the water in the pool and start over.
Bromine pools consume chlorine quickly as it is not protected by the CYA in your water.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Draining the pool will also remove the copper. That is the only way to remove copper from the water.

Welcome to TFP!

To back up what Marty said, if you added 32 ounces of sodium bromide then you have a bromine pool now. That product is one that I completely despise being sold in this manner, it is not an algaecide and it stays in your pool water permanently. There's really nothing you are going to be able to add to fix this, the water has to be removed to remove the bromide.

Right now the pool has been running 24/7 and it's clear again. The color is still greenish - not as bad as this morning. I'm just afraid that when it comes to treatment time to add shock or chlorine it will just go back to it again. Could I just drain some of the water? The thought of all the money its going to cost to refill isn't exactly thrilling to me. I'm seriously about to close it up at this point. I am never using another product like that agian.

You need to leave at least 1 foot of water in the shallow end so the liner doesn't shift and wrinkle. That, unfortunately, means this will take several partial drain and refills to remove enough of the bromide that it won't cause trouble. How many gallons is your pool?

Closing the pool won't solve the problem, it will be right there waiting for you when you open. Bromide isn't something that goes away, it is a salt that will stay in the water virtually forever.

As for the color, that's the bromine oxidizing metals in your water. Metals can potentially be temporarily sequestered, but they also stay in the water virtually forever. With everything going on with the water there's not a better option than draining and starting over.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A bit of background for you, Toni. Draining is your only real option, as said above.

Merged threads - TFP Mod
I have another question. I added in some granulated shock last night. When I opened up my pump basket, I found a blue substance on the bottom - almost like sugar. I'm wondering if this is the granulated shock. I also see a little floating around in the little glass attached to my bump. I attached some photos for you to see. I haven't added anything else to the pool outside of my standard PH plus, Alkalinity and shock. That's why I am wondering if it's the shock. Since I've never experienced this, I just wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 21
  • glass jar.jpg
    glass jar.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.