New here. Hi y’all! Glad to have found such a wonderful community and vast knowledgeable website. My question is this. What brand of algaecide is the best? Do you have a certain brand that has worked the best for you? Which killer is best ? My current problem is tiny patches of soft green. Usually I get mustard. So any advice on the brands you use would be appreciated. Also…
I think the algae is coming from the filter. I vacuum the algae to waste. Backwash & Rinse the filter every time I vacuum. Even if I use the waste. So I think I need to add sand to my filter and have no earthly idea how to do it. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
New here. Hi y’all! Glad to have found such a wonderful community and vast knowledgeable website. My question is this. What brand of algaecide is the best?
Chlorine is the best. Take a browse through the pool school articles on TFP and you’ll find most algaecide contains other stuff you don’t want in the water.

Reactions: mypurpleplace
A properly chlorinated pool will have no algae growth, so algaecides are not required. Furthermore, many of them contain substances such as copper that you do not want in your pool, as it can stain the pool and turn your hair green.

Chlorine is the best. Take a browse through the pool school articles on TFP and you’ll find most algaecide contains other stuff you don’t want in the water.
I thought chlorine doesn’t kill mustard algae though. So what do I do for that? My chlorine level has been kept high. And I even turned it up. And I still have Algae. I’m waiting on my test kit. But using test strips.

The best algae killer is chlorine. The best way to get rid of algae you already have because you aren't using enough chlorine is to follow the SLAM process. The SLAM process is more chlorine.

SLAM Process

It is not likely that you have mustard algae, it is pretty rare. Can you post pictures?

When you get your test kit, follow this process: Link-->SLAM Process

When you are done with the SLAM, follow this process.

Algaecide is not recommended here. As others said, chlorine is what kills algae and keeps your pool sanitary. Algaecide tends to mask problems and can add copper and other metals to your water that can cause staining and other issues long term.

Here is the article from pool school. Welcome to the forum, read up on pool school, and ask questions. Hopefully, once you read up you will be ready to order a good test kit and let us help you kill the algae via the SLAM process.

I thought chlorine doesn’t kill mustard algae though. So what do I do for that? My chlorine level has been kept high. And I even turned it up. And I still have Algae. I’m waiting on my test kit. But using test strips.
Chlorine kills mustard algae, just takes a bit longer. You probably don’t have mustard algae as it’s very rare. Normal algae is often confused with it because lots of algae is yellow/mustard color.

Stick around and we can show you how to SLAM your pool when the test kit arrives. The strips you’re using don’t work for much of anything. Until it arrives, you can add 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine to the pool each day to keep things from getting worse. The poolmath app has an option to calculate 5ppm for you.

Thank you. I thought I had enough chlorine since I have an automatic chlorinator and when I test with the red & yellow drops. my yellow side is orange. So I assumed it was off the charts chlorinated. 🤷🏻‍♀️
But I’ll put more in. There’s almost nothing to see today. It’s almost completely gone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Without knowing your CYA level it's impossible to know whether you have enough chlorine or not. Also the OTO test is not very good at guessing chlorine levels, not to mention it doesn't differentiate between Free Chlorine and Combined Chlorine.

Please don't blindly add chlorine until you have a way to test your CYA, FC, and CC accurately and can calculate what you actually need. And don't think the algae is gone just because you can't see clumps of it. It's in the water, that's why it keeps coming back as soon as the chlorine dips a little.

Using tablets in your chlorinator is adding chlorine, but also increasing CYA. As CYA increases, the need to have a higher chlorine content also increases.
FC/CYA Levels

Get one of the recommended test kits Test Kits Compared and then post the results here.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CC
CYA
Water temperature

Also, have a read thru
Pool Care Basics

Reactions: Brian PacNW
Without knowing your CYA level it's impossible to know whether you have enough chlorine or not. Also the OTO test is not very good at guessing chlorine levels, not to mention it doesn't differentiate between Free Chlorine and Combined Chlorine.

Please don't blindly add chlorine until you have a way to test your CYA, FC, and CC accurately and can calculate what you actually need. And don't think the algae is gone just because you can't see clumps of it. It's in the water, that's why it keeps coming back as soon as the chlorine dips a little.
Well that just sucks. Just let the pool go to heck in a handbag as I wait for the testing kit to get here. As the temperature rises and the sun beats down on the pool day after day.

Well that just sucks. Just let the pool go to heck in a handbag as I wait for the testing kit to get here. As the temperature rises and the sun beats down on the pool day after day.
He didn’t know you had a kit coming. It’s ok to add the liquid until it comes.

I would add nearly a gallon of liquid chlorine every day after sunset while you wait for your test kit to arrive. That should at least limit algae growth while you wait for your kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.