Algaecide usage

gorocket1981

Jun 8, 2018
Montreal, Canada
Hello,

Are you using algaecide on a weekly basis? Like Poly 40% or 60% ?
Si you think it is required or just a good thing to do and prevent?

Also just to confirm, in the methodology weekly shock is required? Only maintain chlorine level according to CYA level and SLAM in case of issues? Is my understanding ok?

Thanks

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
We generally do not recommend the use of any algaecides on a weekly basis nor is there a need to shock on a weekly basis. The methods we teach here are to maintain proper chlorine in your pool as a function of your cya level at all times.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX

I think you have missed the whole point of what we do...

If you follow the TFP pool care process, and keep your FC and CYA at the proper ratios, you never get algae, you never need to "shock" your pool on a weekly or any other basis, you never need to add phosfree or algaecides, and you never have to SLAM again.. unless you let it turn green when closed for the winter.

Jim R.

gorocket1981

Jun 8, 2018
Montreal, Canada
Ok. Thanks. That was my understanding but I wanted to be sure that I understood properly and that I didn’t miss something. I am new to this method after spending a lot of money in pool stores in the past years.

It appears too good to be true!! ;)

Reactions: justinc

gorocket1981

Jun 8, 2018
Montreal, Canada
Following my initial question, since I already have the algaecide bottle opened, is it ok to follow the weekly recommendation instead of putting it in the garbage? Will it harm something?

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
If the algaecide is Poly 40 or Poly 60, save it for winter closing. If it's something else, don't use it at all. Some of them react with chlorine and get depleted while depleting chlorine. Some leave copper stains and green haired blondes.