Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
My pool is green. We just had our pool deck stripped and re-sealed. So, a ton of junk was washed into the pool water. The water turned cloudy green just after this, and I slammed the pool. The pool was then crystal clear and blue for about a day and then started turning green again, while remaining crystal clear at the same time. The chlorine level has taken DAYS to come down, even with a 0 cya. I did add cya to bring it to 60, but am waiting to add more in case I should slam again. My pool maintenance friend suggested that it could be copper. We checked the pool for copper and it has about .5ppm. Also, we generally struggle with a creeping pH, which is typical, but since the patio was cleaned, my pH wants to be low. It’s currently 7.6, which is fine. I did add borax to raise the pH, since the csi was extremely negative, previous to this current reading. There appears to be some algae growth on the walls when I run my hand on them, ever so slightly slimy and a little cloud forms, and then dissipates. So obviously there is a problem there.
What should my steps be? Slam? Everyone I talk to about it thinks that if my pool is clear, even though it’s green, it wouldn’t be algae. Starting today, I think algae is growing. Also, since the patio cleaning, our spa is making some suds. Not tons, but it’s more than air bubbles since it sticks around in the main pool surface for a bit before dissipating. Also, it really looks like the water itself is green, not the walls and floors.
Should I empty partway and refill? I need help.

Photos attached of current test results, and green pool.

E9526E9A-0180-4012-95C3-B4D44C5A0DD2.png
59934470-2B11-4226-A9D1-48B10854F7EF.jpeg

What chemicals were used to strip the concrete deck?

You said the deck was stripped and sealed and a lot “junk” was pushed into the pool. Can you elaborate more on what they did and what chemicals were used.

Reactions: Mdragger88
What chemicals were used to strip the concrete deck?

You said the deck was stripped and sealed and a lot “junk” was pushed into the pool. Can you elaborate more on what they did and what chemicals were used.
That’s a good question. I am not sure the chemicals used, but will find out tomorrow. As far as junk, that would be any algae, sand, old sealant, plus the sealant remover, and whatever cleaning chemicals. The process used, was to apply what I would assume is a solvent to the existing sealer, then remove the sealer and solvent, clean the deck, sand, reseal. Basically any runoff went either into the pool, or into my grass.

Not sure how it got in, other than possible from the pool deck being cleaned? Possibly from the travertine??
You know what,
I can start the oclt right now. Just noticed the walls being slimy today. Wasn’t like that the past several days.
loss of 0.2 FC over 7 hours.

If there is visible algae in the pool, the SLAM Process should still be followed regardless of OCLT results.

Did you thoroughly brush the pool right before initiating the OCLT test?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That’s within limits as a pass!
Onward to investigate the copper situation & get that list of what they used for the deck.
Also, do you have a heater? If so, list the model.
Heater is aquacal, photo with model info. It’s not on currently, no bypass installed. image.jpg

The stripper contains D’limonene and Benzyl Alcohol.
The sealant contains Polyacrylate Dispersion and Glycol Ether, along with possible proprietary ingredients which they won’t share.
The staff person I talked to, said typically any issues I am having would be coming from whatever was previously on the patio.

The stripper contains D’limonene and Benzyl Alcohol.
The sealant contains Polyacrylate Dispersion and Glycol Ether, along with possible proprietary ingredients which they won’t share.
The staff person I talked to, said typically any issues I am having would be coming from whatever was previously on the patio.

Those chemicals in the stripping compound and sealant would cause cloudiness but not the coloration you are seeing. Is that travertine decking that was stripped?

If there is visible algae in the pool, the SLAM Process should still be followed regardless of OCLT results.

Did you thoroughly brush the pool right before initiating the OCLT test?
Those chemicals in the stripping compound and sealant would cause cloudiness but not the coloration you are seeing. Is that travertine decking that was stripped?
It’s shellstone

It’s shellstone

Well, web searches indicate that “shell stone” is simply a paver stone material that uses various types of shells in its aggregate mix and then the paver it polished back to expose the shell patterns. Depending on what cement material the paver is made out of and what shells are used, I suspect there is probably substantial mineral contamination from the resurfacing process. The contractor doing that job should have been a lot more careful in not getting the material in your pool. Masking the pool area and covering the pool requires minimal effort and could have saved you a lot headaches.

The damage is done and you’ll have to try to see if it filters out. Have you disassembled your cartridge filter to see if it’s become discolored with whatever the contaminant is?

It’s not a man made paver stone. It’s limestone like travertine.

Natural limestone/sandstone deposits can incorporate iron-bearing minerals. That’s often where the darker red/brown colors come from. Natural mollusk shells can have embedded proteins and organic matter in them that can turn the surrounding material brown colored over time. So whatever amount of the stone they etched away into your pool could be the source of the contaminant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.