Central Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
For about the past month, I have had a fine yellow/brown “dust” that appears on the seams, corners, and crevices of the bottom of the pool. If I brush it, it poofs up and disappears. It only seems to appear when the pump is running. It is only on one side in the shallow end of the pool and in random spots in the deep end. Is this mustard algae or just dust,dirt,pollen,etc? If algae, how do I go about getting rid of this without getting all of my levels out of whack?
Readings today from Taylor test kit:
Salt- 3400
FC- 5
CC- 0
PH- 7.8
TA- 100
CH- 120
CYA- 40

I should also add that FC was tested 2 days ago and was 4.4, no salt or chemicals have been added to the pool in that time. We did get a very small amount of rain last night as well.

Below is the article on MA to help you better judge what you are seeing on your end. If you do purse MA treatment, just remember:
1 - Lower the pH to about 7.2 first.
2 - Start a regular SLAM Process (FC level of 16) and maintain until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Liquid chlorine only.

Only after passing the 3 SLAM criteria do you elevate the FC to the appropriate MA level for 24 hrs only - no swimming during that 24 hr period. After that treatment you can adjust any levels as required. Hope that helps.

Reactions: WWeddle
Below is the article on MA to help you better judge what you are seeing on your end. If you do purse MA treatment, just remember:
1 - Lower the pH to about 7.2 first.
2 - Start a regular SLAM Process (FC level of 16) and maintain until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Liquid chlorine only.

Only after passing the 3 SLAM criteria do you elevate the FC to the appropriate MA level for 24 hrs only - no swimming during that 24 hr period. After that treatment you can adjust any levels as required. Hope that helps.

Sounds like dead algae carcasses but not mustard algae. See if you can pass an OCLT to confirm.
So if I pass the OCLT, what comes next? How do I get rid of the dead algae? FC on 6/23 was 4.4 and FC today was 5. I will do the OCLT tonight to confirm

I don't think you will pass. OCLT must be done with SWG off and any pucks out of the pool.
FC on 6/23 was 4.4 and FC today was 5.
Chlorine cannot increase unless you add some. The OCLT does not allow you to add ANY chlorine. Please read the instructions again carefully.

I don't think you will pass. OCLT must be done with SWG off and any pucks out of the pool.

Chlorine cannot increase unless you add some. The OCLT does not allow you to add ANY chlorine. Please read the instructions again carefully.
Ahh gotcha. How long should SWG be off before testing?

Not sure how my FC increased from 4.4 to 5 in 2 days then because I did not add anything to the pool. Unless the SWG can cause the increase. This is my first year maintaining the pool so bear with me here 🙃

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.