Algae???

Nanifen

Jun 10, 2020
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi. I was on here a couple of weeks ago. I think I have algae but could it be pollen? It’s yellowish brown. My pool has been clear and blue. I cannot buy a proper testing kit around me so I ordered from Amazon, a Taylor. Still waiting for it. I shocked my pool to the best of my ability, a couple of times. Using strips can only see if it’s greater than 10 and I know it has to be maintained at 20. Vacuum everyday and the same stuff is there the next day. I’ve never seen anything in the walls. Is it algae or pollen??? I’m going crazy. Help 😩😫

By the strips, my chemistry is good. Water temp 59. Fall weather here.

Attachments

• 2BC67D33-1611-43B4-A81B-4E4D36010F05.jpeg
    2BC67D33-1611-43B4-A81B-4E4D36010F05.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 15
Until you get the new kit we are just like you and flying blind... There is no way for us to know if you still have algae or something else... Are there trees with stuff falling of it, is there pollen on other stuff around the pool?

The first thing you will do when you get your new kit is

PoolMath
1. take a full reading
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
2. after the sun is down take a Free chlorine reading
3. before the sun comes up the next morning take another reading of Free chlorine

post back all 3 of those reading and we will go from there :)

Recommended Levels

Reactions: Mdragger88
Until you get the new kit we are just like you and flying blind... There is no way for us to know if you still have algae or something else... Are there trees with stuff falling of it, is there pollen on other stuff around the pool?

The first thing you will do when you get your new kit is

PoolMath
1. take a full reading
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
2. after the sun is down take a Free chlorine reading
3. before the sun comes up the next morning take another reading of Free chlorine

post back all 3 of those reading and we will go from there :)

Recommended Levels
Ok. Thank you. I will

Had a hurricane pass thru. Vacuumed the pool. Made sure chlorine was >10, as only had strips to use that day. Ither Chen’s good. Covered with leaf/winter cover. Just took the cover off and no sign of the powdery debris. Does that mean it wasn’t algae? Maybe silt and pollen? I’ve been working on this for weeks with daily brushing, vacuuming and keeping chlorine over 10 while I waited for my test kit. Thought I was dealing with algae as it cane back in same areas everyday. Any thoughts?

actually there are a couple a small areas with some stuff in seams.

Attachments

• 0874B3D4-444B-4FCF-90FF-467E2E633C3A.jpeg
    0874B3D4-444B-4FCF-90FF-467E2E633C3A.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi. Just got my Taylor kit. First of all, it doesn’t measure CYA. It wasn’t cheap so please don’t tell me I need another kit😫.

I’ve been fighting possible algae these last few weeks and used strips for shocking the pool while I waited to the test. We had a hurricanecone thru so I vacuumed and chlorinated before putting on a leaf cover and shutting off the pump. That was 3 days ago. I just got my Taylor kit and the readings are :

PH 7.8
Alk 120-140( turned pink at 12 but more reddish at 14) 🤷🏻‍♀️

but I couldn’t wad the chorine as it was reddish and doesn’t match the chart. See picture. What does that mean?

Attachments

• 17A354D0-D8C8-4A2E-9E3B-BBE21F11D179.jpeg
    17A354D0-D8C8-4A2E-9E3B-BBE21F11D179.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 6
Omg. My husband will kill me. Spending so much money. I never thought I would say this but I’m not enjoying being a pool owner. Too stressful.

so now I have to order another kit? 😫

This is the results of the chlorine test. I can’t read it as it’s reddish. I definitely used the right drops.
What does it mean?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 1BA209DE-72CA-4A2E-AEA7-E7B427625697.jpeg
    1BA209DE-72CA-4A2E-AEA7-E7B427625697.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 5

Canada makes it difficult to get a proper test kit. Read the above. You can also look for a K2006 or K2006C from some suppliers in Canada. They cost about 3X as much as they do in the USA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.