Jun 21, 2023
Boca Raton, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all

Mostly new here. I've been trying to treat reoccurring algae for a few months and can't shake it.

Water is balanced. I have been brushing and adding chlorine /acid/baking soda/conditioner/phosphate as needed.

2 weeks ago added Yellow Stop. And still see algae forming on the wall near the spa.

Any recommendations?Screenshot_20230712-104737.pngScreenshot_20230712-104737.png

Last edited by a moderator:
<Maddie clutches chest in pain at the thought of all those pool store potions> Oh My!
You say your water is "balanced" but obviously its not, if you have algae.
How are you testing your water?? Please don't give me a stroke by saying you rely on a pool store? Pleeeeze?!
We need to know (from an approved test kit) these elements:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt if applicable

My advice is to stop listening to pool store salesbots and get/use your own decent kit. Please fill out a <signature> in the <settings> describing your pool, its equipment, how you chlorinate and how you test, yada yada yada. It helps us a lot.
Test Kits Compared
SLAM Process
PoolMath
Pool Care Basics

Maddie :flower:

Welcome to TFP.
This place is a gold mine for pool owners, so stick around and do some free research.
The first clue about TFP, no advertisments or silly pop-ups ever. The folks here are volunteers and most stumbled in here just like you and with the same questions. Take charge of your expensive pool and save your $ by staying away from pool stores and weekly pool service providers.
Invest in a quality test kit Test Kits Compared you own and operate from home as often as you need, to keep your water chemistry TFP balanced. What Are My Ideal Pool Levels? Use PoolMath to calculate all chem additions and estimate effects off adding prior to doing it. Don't add anything to your water unless you know exactly its effects, positives and negatives. Here are a few short videos...

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
I just looked at your pictures and not clear to me you have an algae issue. Can you describe what you can see up close? We utilize a test you can use yourself at home to diagnose an active algae population Overnight Chlorine Loss Test but you will need a proper test kit.
Your spa is unique and I'm curious about the location of the problem stains. There may other issues so perhaps a closer picture and a detailed description of what you are seeing and any reaction to brushing.

Reactions: Newdude
I bought the tfpro test kit. Thank you. Things are beginning to look good per everyones combined recommendations.

One thing the kit didn't include was phosphate testing. I am FL and my pool is not covered. A lot of grass can wind up in the pool. Any recommendations on how to test?

Do you remember the exact product name? Most of those products are Sodium Bromide. And you will have difficulty holding FC if you added sodium bromide. Your pool would now be a bromine pool. But luckily, you did not add alot based on your pool volume.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.