Algae problems

parisdpm

Bronze Supporter
May 26, 2013
Union City, TN
Moved from here.

I am also having difficulty determining if I have mustard algae or pollen. I had this issue last year. same spots in pool..when you try to pick it up .."poof" its gone. An hour or 2 later, right back in same spots. Never has been on walls. Last fall I used every "cure" for mustard algae. It didn't work. Anyone have any thoughts? thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya..... welcome to TFP :wave:

It sounds like algae by the "poof" description. Mustard algae tends to occur in shady areas. Does this describe your spot? Mustard algae is not common though, and many mistake regular algae for mustard just because they haven't gotten rid of their outbreak.

The best way to determine if it is pollen is- is it all over your car, deck and such too? Pollen doesn't land in just pools, y'know? Here in Georgia we have yellow cars for a few weeks every year, just like a dust storm.

Have you a proper test kit to monitor your SLAM? You do need to do that, y'know?
SLAM Process
Test Kits Compared

Maddie :flower:

Thanks. Mainly in shallow end and slope, along seams. Just had water tested. I did add 2 gallons of bleach last night.
FC 3.79
Tc 4.2
CC .41
ph: 8.2( added 77 lbs borax a day ago, didn't add enough muratic acid, thus this was expected.just added another gallon.
TA117
salt 3230
cyanuric acid 31
sat index .8

Well, we can't advise you what to change based on pool store tests. They're often just too far wrong and we'd hate to cause harm based on them.

For a pool your size I'd suggest adding a gallon of liquid chlorine per day and brushing it, until you get your ordered test kit. Once you have that run a full panel of tests and get us those results.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.