Tough algae

moreira85

Nov 8, 2015
Boston, MA
Thought I had mustard algae. I was getting what looked like sand on the bottom and yellow spots and it was eating all chlorine and some yellow film around edge of water. Slammed at 24ppm all last weekend with pump running for 3days until passed over night test, clear and cC of .5. Yesterday I had green algae growing on the bottom and still have that sand like substance growing.
I had my chlorinator off and salt is low 1600. Just added some salt
Ph 7.4
Cya 30
Alk 80

Note this week I’ve only been running pump 5 hours a day.
So frustrating. I’ve added so much chlorine last weekend.

How much is your FC dropping during the day? what daily FC level are you targeting? Are you currently using your SWG? If you are running your SWG have you checked that it is producing enough chlorine and that your salt level is good? Your CYA should be much higher for the SWG, but lets make sure it is functioning correctly before adjusting the CYA level.
Also it is possible that the yellow you are seeing is pollen. Check surfaces around the pool for a dusting of yellow.

How much is your FC dropping during the day? what daily FC level are you targeting? Are you currently using your SWG? If you are running your SWG have you checked that it is producing enough chlorine and that your salt level is good? Your CYA should be much higher for the SWG, but lets make sure it is functioning correctly before adjusting the CYA level.
Also it is possible that the yellow you are seeing is pollen. Check surfaces around the pool for a dusting of yellow.
I haven’t started up swg yet. I did have dusting of yellow the weekend and I was targeting 24ppm for slam because pool math said I needed a higher slam level for mustard. I will be bringing up salt level but I haven’t yet because I haven’t turned on swg yet. I’ll have to check how much it’s dropping during the day. I finished the slam Monday and Monday morning it was 24ppm. I didn’t add any chlorine mon tue weds thurs. last night thurs my fc was 1ppm. I am trying to target a maintenance FC 3ppm once swg up and running and bring cya up to 60.

Pool math said higher slam for mustard algae

Read the article. The higher FC for mustard algae is AFTER a complete SLAM at regular SLAM level FC and only for 24 hours at the elevated mustard algae FC.

Read the article. The higher FC for mustard algae is AFTER a complete SLAM at regular SLAM level FC and only for 24 hours at the elevated mustard algae FC.
Thank you. Very good clarification

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you. Another thought came to mind. Pollen. Could it be pollen? The pollen count in Mass right now is very very high. My skimmer basket gets clogged with it. When I brush the floor what I think is algae it disappears into dust. Is there a way to tell if it’s pollen or algae?

Thank you. Another thought came to mind. Pollen. Could it be pollen? The pollen count in Mass right now is very very high. My skimmer basket gets clogged with it. When I brush the floor what I think is algae it disappears into dust. Is there a way to tell if it’s pollen or algae?
I am fighting this same issue right now, have had the FC over 40ppm for two weeks with the help of the SWG and it is still there. Exactly as you mentioned when you brush it it turns to dust.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.