Algae or animal/insect faeces?

Fi0nA

Mar 9, 2020
Brisbane
Hi all,

We are having lots of problems with our pool as our neighbors tree overhangs and drops worms, bird poo, flowers, twigs and seed pods into our pool. The latest thing we’ve noticed are these very odd green lumps in the pool. Does anyone know if this is algae or animal faeces? It is all over the base of the pool ?
I’ve attached photos of the pile of junk we’ve been scooping out of the pool..

Appreciate any help!!

Attachments

• AB4E681D-CD60-410E-90B8-59A025751677.jpeg
    AB4E681D-CD60-410E-90B8-59A025751677.jpeg
    749.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 76429EF9-30E0-4650-8665-FA48B583FCDC.jpeg
    76429EF9-30E0-4650-8665-FA48B583FCDC.jpeg
    811.4 KB · Views: 40
You’re right.. i just looked it up and it looks exactly like that. I don’t know why I didn’t make that correlation! That tree is full of caterpillars and the droppings have increased over the last month since the infestation.. So disgusting! :(

thank you for your help!

My partner was in denial thinking it was algae and that we could fix it but I had a feeling it had something to do with the recent caterpillar infestation.. We’re going to go talk to the neighbour tomorrow about chopping the overhanging trees. They must go!! Thanks for your advice :)

Reactions: Pv2
confession: I have a moderately severe phobia of lepidoptera larvae and your post has made the many delays of a trip to Australia a little more bearable. :geek:

Haha I completely understand your fear! Now I know that our pool is full of caterpillar excrement I don't know if I can ever swim in it again for a LONG time..
We just went and spoke to the neighbour and he agreed he needed to trim back the overhanging branches (he was a little bit pushy as he was supposedly on his way out) so I really hope something happens soon..

Thank you everybody for your help and support, really appreciate it :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.