Algae issue

ptherv

May 20, 2023
Orange County, CA
Back in August-September we had new concrete poured in our backyard. For about 10 days the pool was covered and I left my chlorine float in it. By the time the pool was uncovered I had cyanuric acid issues and Leslie's Pool Supplies employees advised me to at least partially drain the pool to stabilize the water. I developed a yellow algae problem as well.

I drained the pool about half, followed instructions to use shock and Yellow Out, and cleaned my pool filter.

I still have a residual yellow color to parts of the pool wall. I have used a nylon brush to no avail. I am afraid of using a nylon/metal bristle brush due to the age of my pool (1964).

All the Leslie's employee told me was to repeat the shock and algae treatment and clean my filter, which I just did probably no more than a month ago.

Do you have any alternative suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give me.

Respectfully,

Paul Hervey

Hey Ptherv and Welcome !!! You are member # 373,847 that had enough of the expensive and poor results doing it the pool store way.

We do things differently here, and here's why : How Clear is TFP Clear?

You need your own reliable test kit and we can teach you how to be a pro in no time. I cannot reccomend the TFpro from tftestkits.net enough (or pro salt if applicable) For the same price as a K2006C they come with a $48 stirring device. Anywho, check Test Kits Compared

Start reading up on the Pool Care Basics.

For now, download PoolMath and set up your pool specs. Then add 5ppm of chlorine a day until the kit comes and we can see what's going on with the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was sold two different products with the same active ingredient. Some kind of scam?
Somebody called me? Looks like it. Welcome to #TeamPoolstored.

Scam? They call it a business model. I call it getting pool stored.

Good reads:

I think Marty is making sure that bromide wasn’t added to the pool. Some “yellow out” products contain it, and it means your pool no longer uses chlorine to sanitize but bromine, which causes a host of testing and other concerns.

While sulfates aren’t the best to add to pools, especially ones with heaters or SWCG (you don’t list either, but just mentioning), at least it’s not going to cause chlorine to be ineffective.

Go with Newdude’s post above. Get a good test kit, take your testing and chemical care into your own hands instead of being sold the same chemical under different names by the pool store. ;)

Reactions: ptherv and proavia
So you added a bunch of ammonia. Luckily, that will just take alot of chlorine to remove. As Dustin said, it was not sodium bromide. That would mean a drain and refill.
So stock up on liquid chlorine. Follow the protocol in Ammonia - Further Reading

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.