Algae in winter

joemkraus

Bronze Supporter
Sep 23, 2019
Saratoga, CA
I am getting a bit of algae even in the winter. All my chemicals are balanced, but I have a Pentair - IntelliFlo in northern California, and am running at 1500 RMP for 10hrs per day. Do you think that is too low of RPM and/or too short of time?

Filtering does not prevent algae. Water chemistry does.

Can you post your test results? Can you fill out your signature?

As long as your water is moved enough to mix your chemicals, which only takes a very short time, algae is prevented. You might not be skimming efficiently or have other debris, but algae will not be an issue.

How are you testing your water chemistry?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am getting a bit of algae even in the winter.
Your test results (assuming CC is 0) don't really indicate you have algae. Maybe pollen/dirt falling to the bottom due to lack of skimming??

To confirm one way or another, try an Overnight Chlorine Test.

thanks, but I don't think that is the issue because my chlorine level does not go down much even after a couple days. it could be debris but it seems to accumulate right where the algea normally does so I guess if it comes back I will try to slam it

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.