Algae happened again

foxbody

Jun 3, 2021
Beverly, MA
Did this happen because I did not run my filter for one day? I performed a successful SLAM just last week. Since then I've run the pump 6-8hrs a day, brushed and kept chlorine high.
But here I am...

Attachments

• E529FDE6-0FD4-4D9A-96F0-FBE85D971E50.jpeg
    E529FDE6-0FD4-4D9A-96F0-FBE85D971E50.jpeg
    615.2 KB · Views: 9
Let's cover some of the basics:
Are you chlorinating every day?
What time of the day are you adding the chlorine?
Have you checked FC just before adding?
How often are you checking FC?

Chlorinating daily except when FC too high
I add chlorine in the morning
Yes
I usually check FC daily but it's been on the high side (6-8ppm) so I have been checking every few days lately.

If CYA is 50 (in your signature) then FC of 6-8 is what you want to see before adding the chlorine.
If your schedule allows it then add chlorine in the evening. That will give you the higher level of chlorine for a longer period of time before the sun does its thing.
Your getting algae because chlorine is falling below the minimum.
This could be due to testing error for CYA or FC.
Please confirm that your using 10 ml of water, a well rounded scoop of R-0870 & dividing the number of drops by 2.
A lot of us struggle with the CYA test. I think CYA being higher than you think is the most likely cause of your trouble.

Reactions: HermanTX
I had that issue last year never could eliminate algae completely Found out later That when the kids would go to the lake and swim when they came back to go in the pool , Days later, their swimming suits and Rafe were not wash before going into the pool which help spread the algae no matter how much chlorine I used when I opened it up this year I replaced all the sand in the filter (which also had light algae around the edges of the sand filter) scrub the lining of sand filter unit and all the parts - This year no issue with Algae at all zero % we now ,to be sure separate floating rafts from the lake and the pool rafts and every one washes their suits before they get in ,even guest it made the difference to our situation a 100% 🤔 it work for us 😊

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.