Airbnb house pool causing rashes, ideas?

Juniper_Berry

Apr 11, 2021
northern ca
Hi all -

At home I have a lovely trouble free pool with balanced water (thanks to everyone here!) and I use my Taylor test kit once a week. Now, we are stuck in an Airbnb house in Nevada with family for the next week, and there is not much for the kids to do except play in the pool (and I didn’t bring my test kit!!!). All 3 kids are getting a similar rashes about 30 minutes after exiting the pool. The rash is tiny bumps / red irritated skin that mostly disappears by morning after they shower and moisturize.

I ran some water down to the closest Leslie’s pool supply this morning and they did a free test:

FC - 3.58
TC - 4.07
PH - 7.5
total alkalinity - 45**
hardness - 731
CYA - 221
Iron - 0
Copper - .2
Phosphates - 674
TDS - 4500

So maybe the issue is super low alkalinity causing skin irritation? Any other ideas?? At home I use liquid chlorine so I’ve never seen a CYA that high. The kids are bored and really want to get back in the pool - and the property management company doesn’t seem to care. I’m thinking of adding the right amount of baking soda and trying again… any other recommendations?

Thank you!!

Juniper

Juniper,

I doubt the TA has anything to do with the problem.

With a CYA of over 200 and an FC of only 3 you basically have no sanitizer.

Is it a saltwater pool or is it a tab-feeder pool?

I am by no means a chemical expert so let's ask someone that is.

Calling @JoyfulNoise

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Assuming you can believe Leslie’s (I don’t), then possibly folliculitis caused by bacteria or combined chlorine irritation or an unknown chemical irritant such as non-chlorine shock (MPS) or algaecide. This pool is likely taken care of by the cheapest pool service possible through the AirBnB management service so there’s no telling what nonsense they are throwing at the pool.

My suggestion - slather the kids head to toe in a thick, oily UV blocking skin lotion (like SPF-100) and then let them swim. Perhaps the oily barrier will protect their skin from whatever crud is in the pool water. Since it’s not your pool and the owners clearly don’t give rat’s posterior about it, then go ahead and slick up the water with sun block.

Alternatively, Nevada has some interesting tourist sights to see if you want to drive around. I suggest the Bucket of Blood Saloon in Virginia City and the associated local silver mine tours you can go on. Lots of fun history to explore. Just stay away from Area 51/Groom Lake as the military security there doesn’t take kindly to trespassers and they typically have a shoot first/ask questions later policy.

@mknauss can probably suggest other less savory establishments to entertain your kids at …

Sunscreen, swim shirts with long sleeves and swim goggles. While you are Californians, NoCal sun is nothing like the high desert sun and heat of Nevada and Arizona. UV light and pool water can have some interesting chemical reactions on the sensitive skin of children. Cover them up as much as you can while swimming so they don’t burn and limit their swim intervals to no more than an hour with a good long break indoors. We had relatives visit once from Maryland in the hottest part of our summer and they did not heed our warning about not going out sight seeing in 121F degree heat … they learned firsthand what dehydration sickness was all about …

• Wow
Reactions: renesme
What part of Nevada? I am southern Nevada, Las Vegas to be exact. There is no way I am swimming in 56 degree water, which is the temp of my pool right now. The last 2 days have been wonderfully warm, upper 70s but Friday it is supposed to drop back down to the upper 50s, low 60s. Sounds like the Airbnb has heated that pool.

Does Leslies have a CYA kit ? Maybe the Pentair one ? If you did the dillution test and knew the actual CYA level (leslies particurally gets it wrong) you could dose a 1/2 slam. While there may be some algae in there, at least you'd know the water is sterile, and get rashes or infections. Well worth the $35(?) kit IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Clark County does not allow AirBnB rentals. All rentals must be a minimum of 30 days
Pretty sure alot of places do. We have a 29 day minimim. But I'm also pretty sure that we all have the same overworked code enforcement department and it will take them 6 months to look into the few that were reported. Dozens and dozens will lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK...I finally found a DOWNSIDE to TFP. What is it, you ask? Well, TOO MUCH KNOWLEDGE!!! Before TFP, I would bathe in ignorant bliss in any pool that "looked OK"....but OH NO....now I know better and well, I just can't look at another pool...it's like cheating on MY POOL! Perhaps TFP should set up an accreditation program. I would pay extra at an Air BnB or hotel to see that "TFP SEAL OF APPROVAL"!!! Oh, and I will volunteer to be a TFP accreditation inspector.

...now I know better and well, I just can't look at another pool...it's like cheating on MY POOL!..

There is no shame in being a pool snob! I am one and my wife and daughter have turned into pool snobs, too. My daughter leased an apartment locally and she not only has a view of the pool, but the pool entrance gate is probably 100 ft from her front door. She hasn't been in that pool. Maybe because when she moved in, I poked my head over the pool equipment wall and saw, not one but two inline chlorinators. One might have been for the spa. :lovetfp:

Reactions: HeyEng
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.