Air under pump lid driving me crazy

jon335

Sep 17, 2021
Georgia
New build 17k pool, SWG, spa, and floor cleaning system.

Initially had 2 speed Jandy pump before VSP came in.
Can't tell if it defaulted to low or high speed on the 2 speed pump but noticed maybe 2cm bubble under the lid and unsure if i had air in the returns (definitely not obvious bubble trickle from the floor cleaner heads).

I got the VSP and the bubble got much bigger: up to 5-6cm in diameter bubble under the lid)

I did some more playing around with the valves and realized if i open everything up fully: ie drain from spa and pool, open up full return to spa and pool and bubblers and i run it at at full speed on VSP at 3450 the bubbles will 99% go away in one minute or less and i would get maybe 1 very very small bubble like a 1-2 mm in size or swirl of like tiny carbonation under the lid/basket and once turned down to 1250 rpm the bubble is at best 1-2mm for maybe hours as I never stayed around to see how long it would take for it to grow but after a few hours it would grow to ~2cm

I normally like to have the valves
Suction side: closed spa and open main drain and skimmers
Return: closed bubblers on tanning ledge and slightly open spa return so that i will have some spill over from spa into the pool for circulation and max return on floor cleaner heads (essentially main return to pool).

At the above valve position I would get 4-5cm water bubble under the lid when I return after a few hours and even on Full 3450 RPM in that valve position the bubble won't go away completely like when its on full open return and suction, it will get better but still probably 2-3cm or so air bubble.

Now because of the floor cleaning system i have a leaf trap canister right before the pool pump (similar to the pool pump lid with a basket and clear top to see if canister if full and need cleaning) its the last thing before the pool pump return and short line. I say on high RPM i can occasionally/rarely see a few bubbles swirl and it will get sucked down into the pipe and into the pump but its not often. I wonder if that is from cavitation or out gassing from high flow or turbulent flow (under leaf canister lid).

Its driving me crazy, i've been reading that others have this issue with VSP with air bubbles under lid. The pump never loses prime and I am not losing tons of water, I think just normal evaporation.

Question: why am i getting slow return of air bubbles but it seems to stop at 4-5cm max.

Summary:
if all valves open to full suction and full returns (spa and floor cleaner heads/bubblers: ie lowest resistance for water flow) I can run pump at max RPM and 99% of bubbles are gone but if spa drain is closed and bubbler and majority of spa return is closed i can't get the pump lid bubbles to fully gone or 99% gone from under the lid.

Thank you in advance. Apologies if I do a poor job explaining my issue.

I have a Jandy VS as well and it does the same thing. Maybe even worse. The lower the RPM the bigger the bubble (very predictable bubble size vs. RMP). It doesn't get worse or better, just varies with RPM and all but disappears around 2750 RPM. I've checked for air leaks, cleaned and lubricated the lid seal, etc. I've stopped stressing about it since it doesn't seem to be impacting anything.

It does seem like we have very similar setups except my pool is just under 12,000 gallons. My builder installed a separate booster pump dedicated to the in-floor system. I'm wondering if that was necessary?

I have a Jandy VS as well and it does the same thing. Maybe even worse. The lower the RPM the bigger the bubble (very predictable bubble size vs. RMP). It doesn't get worse or better, just varies with RPM and all but disappears around 2750 RPM. I've checked for air leaks, cleaned and lubricated the lid seal, etc. I've stopped stressing about it since it doesn't seem to be impacting anything.

It does seem like we have very similar setups except my pool is just under 12,000 gallons. My builder installed a separate booster pump dedicated to the in-floor system. I'm wondering if that was necessary?
Thank you for your reply, just going crazy through it all, I would like a booster pump for head cleaning, only way it works if I close off most everything and only return water to cleaner heads and they’ll pop up, they don’t really work that well and I got a dolphin and it picks up fine sand and dirt that the Crud floor cleaners miss. Thank you again for sharing

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.