Air temp sensor for Pentair EasyTouch 8 and shed

shingles

Bronze Supporter
Jun 12, 2017
Houston, TX
So I have a pool equipment shed built as part of our pool build out. The Pentair is in the shed. The air temp sensor is in the shed. Now the shed has pretty good airflow but when it’s really cold out, the air temp in the shed a few degrees warmer than outside. Not sure what’s gone happen in the summer but I am sure there would be a differential.

Question: should I try and install the sensor outside of the shed?

04a07d6c0d5857c46d0a7eb8d4087ba0.jpg

The air temp sensor is only used for freeze protect if your easy touch is set to be the primary for that. It appears all your above ground plumbing is in the shed. If so, having the sensor in the shed is a good idea.

The sensor cables come with something like 10-15ft of cord. You should be able to run it outside the shed pretty easily. It's primary purpose is for the control of solar heating and, very importantly, freeze-protect. So you really want the air temp sensor to be outside.

Since you just got two competing responses -- let me clarify.

The air sensor is not used for solar heating, there is a separate input for that -- and I do not see that you were going to use Solar heating. Are you?

The air sensor, per the installation instructions, does say to be installed outside. So it would be best to put it there. It is ONLY used for the freeze protection protocol in the Easy Touch.

Take care.

s,

I don't see the air sensor as a big issue one way, or the other, but if this were my system, I would mount it down by the air vents at the bottom of your back wall..

A couple of suggestions, that are worth what you paid for them... :p

It looks like they plan to install your $1,000 pump without a set of $20 pump unions.. In my mind that should be illegal... :D

I have a shed similar to yours, and when you take the drain plug out of the filter, the water has to go somewhere.... I dug out about 16" of the dirt around the pipes and filled the empty space with pebbles, which gives the water a place to go before it seeps into the ground.

Thanks for posting.

Jim R.

Thank you for posting this question, shingles. I was about to post a similar question. I also have an enclosed equipment shed and this morning, the air sensor inside there read 39 degrees, while the air outside was reported at 34 degrees. Even with a grain of salt about actual readings or calibration, it showed me a clear differential and I was wondering the best spot to have my air sensor.

The sole idea for the air sensor is to sample the temp for freeze protection. Ideally you would want to mount it (the sensor) to the OUTSIDE of a pipe typically one that is connected to the main filter system. This gives the E/T a good idea of the temp surrounding the plumbing. Having said that, i don't think (unless you get frequent "hard" freezes) that having the equipment in a shed will subject the equipment to freezing temps. I could be wrong, but thats why you have the temp sens, to place near the plumbing, just in case. You could mount the sensor outside, and it would protect the equipment from freezing damage, but having the sensor outside would trigger freeze protection long before you needed it inside resulting in longer pump run times and higher electricity bills.

Most of the time i take the sensor, feed the wire end through one of the low voltage holes at the bottom of the box, and pull the wire until the sensor is up against the hole. Connect it to the temp sensor buss, and your done.

For one, I too live in Houston so I know the drill on the heat...and when it comes to hard freezes, they are rare and we usually have time to plan for them.

As for an opinion, the temp that matters if your equipment is going to freeze is where your pipes/equipment are exposed. I would suggest there is a temp delta btw outside and inside when it comes to colder temp's. It may never reach freezing inside your shed when it hits 34-33-32-31-30 outside, so you would not need to run your pump for freeze protection. Since your not installing a [gas] heater [whole new thread if you were], you could close the vents during cold spells to even add better protection against the cold.

Next, I'd make sure you have more than adequate ventilation for summer bc it gets hot here, esp if your shed will be in the sun all day. Install some vents at top too facing the S and N to provide better drawing of heat...you don't want your pump over heating.

Finally, good point on what you do w the water in the bottom of the cartridge system and how you drain it. I'm not sure if this is available for your cartridge drain plug, but I would check w some good plumbing shops and see if they have an adapter to a ball-valve, then run some flex pipe from the ball-valve to the outside of your shed. You're going to want to drain that water outside and direct it away from your equipment. A brass ball-valve would easily be able to hold any pump PSI...you're also going to want to rinse out the bottom of your bottom cartridge system and this too would re-direct the extra water outside.

good luck,
tstex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will just throw in that whoever's idea it was to place the filter tank drain where it is, is in the wrong line of work.

Mayor,

Come on it is not so bad...

As long as you are less than 30 years old.. can fold yourself into the shape of a pretzel.. don't really need to see through the bottom of your trifocals, and can remember what size wrench you need so you don't need to do all that twice... Oh!! and have fast enough reactions to un-pretzel yourself before getting soaking wet... :p

Jim R.

LOL Jim - you got that completely correct.

I've now labeled inside my tool box wrenches and sockets for: pump filter plug, oil plugs on cars and farm tractors, etc...too old for the yoga positions in work clothes :santa:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.