Air intake with SPA

quinnstefanie

Jan 1, 2023
Charlotte, NC
All,

Still trying to learn as much as I can about this pool that I acquired with the house I bought.

Not a major problem but I’m just curious if this is normal. What I am noticing:

1). When in spa mode (spa drains and spa jets fully engaged), the pump window definitely shows a lot of small air bubbles being pulled through. The spa does have a Bubbler which could be a factor I’m guessing..

2). If I drain the spa (drain on/ spa jets off), once the water level gets below the Jets, The pump struggles tremendously to stay primed. Sometimes it even loses prime at this point.

3). If I completely drain the spa (drain engaged, spa jets off), it is guaranteed to lose prime. Also, the only way I can get the pool to prime if completely drained is to take a hose and put some water back in the spa to cover the drains with water.

4). If I have the spa return on and the drain off, basically just pushing the waterfall back into the pool, the pump seems to operate normally and there does not seem to be aur In pump.

All of this is not really causing a major problem but just seems like I’m getting a lot of air from Spa Drain and wondering if this is just the nature of the beast or something is not right. On the equipment pad, with the spa return and spa drain, not really noticing any leaks I even put soap on those parts to see if I noticed anything and I did not.

All,

Still trying to learn as much as I can about this pool that I acquired with the house I bought.

Not a major problem but I’m just curious if this is normal. What I am noticing:

1). When in spa mode (spa drains and spa jets fully engaged), the pump window definitely shows a lot of small air bubbles being pulled through. The spa does have a Bubbler which could be a factor I’m guessing..

2). If I drain the spa (drain on/ spa jets off), once the water level gets below the Jets, The pump struggles tremendously to stay primed. Sometimes it even loses prime at this point.

3). If I completely drain the spa (drain engaged, spa jets off), it is guaranteed to lose prime. Also, the only way I can get the pool to prime if completely drained is to take a hose and put some water back in the spa to cover the drains with water.

4). If I have the spa return on and the drain off, basically just pushing the waterfall back into the pool, the pump seems to operate normally and there does not seem to be aur In pump.

All of this is not really causing a major problem but just seems like I’m getting a lot of air from Spa Drain and wondering if this is just the nature of the beast or something is not right. On the equipment pad, with the spa return and spa drain, not really noticing any leaks I even put soap on those parts to see if I noticed anything and I did not.
You could, possibly, have a leak in the suction line from the spa that only shows when the spa is "on." You won't always notice a water leak with that if it is small.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.