Air in the returns

Aug 13, 2007
Hi guys, longtime lurker and researcher, but very seldom poster here with a question.

I am getting air bubbles in my return lines....no water is leaking at the surface, though I do have a underground leak somewhere - if I close my fill valve on a cloudy day in the 60s I lose about an inch every five days.

My above ground plumbing is dry and I have tried using shaving cream to expose any leaks in the manifold/pumping/cartridge filtering/heater setup. I've gone through and lubed/replaced all the seals that I know of.

The bubbles continue during the entire pump cycle. At the beginning of each cycle the systems belches back and forth a few times.

Where should I look? Is it time to call in the pressure guys and test everything out?

Attachments

• returns_bubbles.jpg
    returns_bubbles.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 23
Welcom to the forum! :wave: That is a lot of bubbling for sure. I would focus on the suction side of the plubming as that is where air typically gets pulled-into the system. At the same time, water will not leak outwards unless the system is off. If you have a main drain and skimmer, try isolating one or the other (if possible) to see if there is a change. If you only have the poolside skimmer, you might double check to ensure the pump basket clear lid's O-ring is adequately lubed. Same goes for any drain plugs on the pump. Don't forget to inspect check valves or 3-way vavles before the pump. After all that, if you're still seeing bubbles and/or loosing water when the pump is off, it may be time to have someone inspect that suction side line. If you're handy and feel like doing a little DIY experiment, you could also take some spare PVC line (if available) and run it from the pump intake straight into the pool (like a straw) - from water to pump. If the bubbles stop, you know the suction line underground is compromised.

I know what you mean about scum but its not like that...the only thing in the water is salt and conditioner, plus a few chlorine tabs. The picture doesn't really show it but in real-life you can see that the bubbles are emanating from the jets.

That sort of looks like, for lack of a better term, "bubble scum". I used to get that in a hot tub I owned when I added a floculent. Did you add anything to the water?

Last edited:
O,

That looks more like soap bubbles rather than bubbles that come from having air in your system...

Whenever I have air in my system I get very large bubbles that belch out of the returns and they pop right away.. I don't see any floating bubbles.

Did you just add the salt? If so what brand?

A water loss of an inch in five days is less than a 1/4" a day.. That sounds more like evaporation than a leak??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Here's a link to a video which shows the bubbles better:

My salt content drops pretty quickly, about 400 ppm per month, which is why I think I have a leak. I haven't added any salt for a few months, its down to around 1800 ppm..the water is quite cold, 50+˚F, so I have a few chlorine tabs floating around to keep the chlorine up until the leak is fixed or the water starts warming up.

If we rule out any chemical oddities that could contribute to the bubbling, and if you try the items I noted above in post #2, you might try some rubber stopper plugs. You could plug all pressure side outlets (returns) and close any valves on the pressure side. Shut the system down with the pressure side plugged/isolated, let the pool sit that way for a bit and monitor for water dropping. That would help confirm a leak on the suction side. Of course if you have a main drain, pool light, or any other device/seam under the waterline those could contribute to a leak, but they would not cause the bubbling. If it's not a chemical issue, then it's a significant amount of air (suction side).

its definitely air....I'll pick up/order some plugs, seems like a good simple tool to have around. Thank you all for your advice.

In regards to your straw suggestion, if I understand correctly I would need to make an adapter that would screw into the inlet of my pump and then run PVC from there to the pool.

In regards to your straw suggestion, if I understand correctly I would need to make an adapter that would screw into the inlet of my pump and then run PVC from there to the pool.
Correct! Kind of a last-straw (no pun intended) attempt to norrow down the search. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.