Air in the filter basket

Sep 22, 2018
Tallahassee, FL
I upgraded our Intex pump to a Hayward 1.5hp pump and sand filter and wow, what a difference! I've been running the pump continuously for about a week to get the water clear and clean. Well, today I connected and started up the SWG, which is an Intex 26665EG Ozone Saltwater System and now I'm getting air in the pump basket. This doesn't make sense to me since the SWG is after the sand filter as far as the water flow goes so what would be causing that much air to get in on the suction side?

HELP!!!

Is the weir door on your skimmer moving freely?

You worked around the plumbing. Check that you did not create a suction side air leak.

Post pics of your equipment and plumbing.

I suspect that Intex SWCG / Ozone unit has fairly small ports to direct the water flow. And thus could be applying quite a bit of back pressure with that large of a pump. That will cause the pump basket to not fill with water.

Reactions: wireform
Is the weir door on your skimmer moving freely?

You worked around the plumbing. Check that you did not create a suction side air leak.

Post pics of your equipment and plumbing.
The weir door is moving and looks to be operating normally. I'll take some pics tomorrow morning and post them. I've looked at all the joints and don't see any leaks. I also made sure that all the threaded fittings are nice and tight.

Thanks for your input!

I suspect that Intex SWCG / Ozone unit has fairly small ports to direct the water flow. And thus could be applying quite a bit of back pressure with that large of a pump. That will cause the pump basket to not fill with water.
That is what I was wondering about. I am quickly becoming "not a fan" of the Intex stuff, but the unit was the least expensive and, for the most part, we were really happy with the SWG attached to the Intex pump. Should I be looking at a compatible Hayward SWG?

Thanks for your input!

It is the ozonator thing (that provide no advantage whatsoever to an outdoor pool) that messes it up. They have orifices (bigger for the SWCG side, smaller for the ozonator side) so that the water flow is pushed through both.

See if you can remove the orifice for the SWCG side. That might let things work.

There is no reason your pump and SWG need to be compatible.

If you give up on the Intex equipment look at the Circupool SWGs. Get one rated at 30K or above so it si 2X your pool volume.

These folks offer a one model upgrade for $1.

Thanks for the referral. I ordered an SJ40, should have it in a couple of days. I'll post pics when I get it set up!

Thank you all for the great advice. Love this site!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.