Air in pump when vacuum

Diego168

Apr 9, 2019
Ct
Hello i noticed that every time I vacuum the pool the pump loses prime about 1/3. I’m able to vacuum but I’m afraid this could damage my new Pentair super flow VS pump. I’ve check all the gaskets aswell as the vacuum hose and I can’t find anything wrong which makes me think that there maybe a problem with the suction pipe coming from the skimmer. There is not air if I don’t vacuum.
I don’t know what to do at this point. The skimmer to pump pipe is 1.5”. I don’t feel like going into the ground to fix this at this point but I wonder if I could do something to maintain prime while I vacuume. Maybe a wider hose or a shorter vac hose as the one I have is longer than needed by 8-10feet.
:/
Fyi recently upgrade the pump to a VS pump but I had the same problem with the previous single speed.

Do you only have one skimmer?

Your vacuum hose cannot provide as much flow as your pump wants so it sucks in some air.

There is little you can do if you only have one skimmer and cannot give the pump more water instead of air,

Have you considered getting a robot pool cleaner?

Do you only have one skimmer?

Your vacuum hose cannot provide as much flow as your pump wants so it sucks in some air.

There is little you can do if you only have one skimmer and cannot give the pump more water instead of air,

Have you considered getting a robot pool cleaner?
Hello and thank you. Yes I only have one return the skimmer. Between the pump and skimmer there are no valves. The are 2 fittings that I checked for leaks. The only places could be the underground pipe and Fittings and skimmer. I do have a robot but I like to vacuum my self.
As you say that only one return not giving enough water to pump, is why I thought getting a bigger vacuum hose 2”.
Also what if I was to make an additional hole in the vacuum lid so that it allows more water. I would lose some suction but maybe that would work.

Also if the pump has 1/3 air but continues to pump will that damage the pump?

Would something like this regulator work for your set up? The valve pulls in an adjustable amount of water to decrease suction from the hose.

Would something like this regulator work for your set up? The valve pulls in an adjustable amount of water to decrease suction from the hose.

Uuuu interesting maybe that would work better than me drilling a hole lol.

So you guys think I don’t have a leak? But because only one return it has to pull air from somewhere?
Even when I lower the rpm to 2000 still has some air.

Do you have a one-piece or sectioned hose? Is the hose connection at the skimmer completely submerged?

What happens if you reduce pump RPM below 2000. Is there a point that the bubbles stop?

Last edited:
Do you have a one-piece or sectioned hose? Is the hose connection at the skimmer completely submerged?

What happens if you reduce pump RPM below 2000. Is there a point that the bubbles stop?
I’m not sure how it looks under ground. It’s a single pipe with some unions I would think. Maybe a 90 degree and then comes out of the ground.
I think the hose fitting is completely submerged. Last year I had replaced the hose thinking it was a problem with the hose.

So I tried a few things. the devices mention above seemed to help but since it sits to close to water level it would suck some air at times.
Then I Try a 2” suction hose and this worked really good. You still get some air at the pump basket but is not bad at all. It was a pain to find fittings that would match to the skimmer lid and the vacuum head. Finally a 1 1/4” pvc worked well.
The 2” vacuum hose is not as easy to maneuver but the amount of suction I get at the vacuum head is very strong so that makes up for it.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.