Air in lines?

When everything was working I was running the pump at 3050 RPMs and the pressure was at 20psi
Now at the same speed the pressure shows 30 psi

S,

Filter pressure is an indication of how hard it is for water to pass through your filter and make its way back to the pool.

At 3050, if the pressure went up from 20 to 30, then something is keeping the water from getting back to the pool.

The filter is the obvious answer, but assuming it is ok, what else is in the return path. Something in the return path is reducing or blocking the water flow.

As a test you could take the cartridges out of the filter and see what happens.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Cleaned the filter yesterday, and the filters look good, lubed the big o’ring
When everything was working I was running the pump at 3050 RPMs and the pressure was at 20psi
Now at the same speed the pressure shows 30 psi
That's interesting and reminds me of a situation - I had an instance where I got a ton of pollen in my pool, which filtered out before I noticed it. It wasn't until my pump flow rate decreased substantially that I took the time to check on it. My filter was plugged up pretty well and my pump pot had air in it.

The only thing I seem to notice that's different is when I changed the 2 small o-rings on the valve there was a plastic ring separating the 2 o-rings on the stem, all the videos I watched didn't have that plastic ring.
I think you should put that ring back in. I posted this thread about a month ago about a plastic ring inside my Jandy gray diverter. Someone in the responses linked to this older post. Pentair diverters do have that third ring; Jandy does not. Someone in there said they used a third O-ring instead of the plastic ring and it worked.

S,

In my mind, too many people spend too much time worrying about a little air under the pump lid. Certainly, something to worry about if it is causing an issue, but if the flow is good and pressure is normal, then I would not worry about it.

Air under your pump lid is not causing your filter pressure to read 30 when it used to read 20.

Good troubleshooters let the answers lead them to the problem, they do not decide on what the problem is first, and then try to make the answers fit the problem they think they have. :mrgreen:

Valves can break, go bad, get clogged, etc. If I were in your shoes, I'd want to know what is reducing the flow of water back to your pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: wireform
S,

Filter pressure is an indication of how hard it is for water to pass through your filter and make its way back to the pool.

At 3050, if the pressure went up from 20 to 30, then something is keeping the water from getting back to the pool.

The filter is the obvious answer, but assuming it is ok, what else is in the return path. Something in the return path is reducing or blocking the water flow.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Great idea, so I pulled the filters out and the 10 minutes I ran it the pressure was high and the pump basket had no air and the BLUE basket has some air, but it usually drops an inch or 2 after a few hours and has a lot of air. During this 10 minute run the pressure mostly stayed around 19 psi and a few times did shoot to 25. I ordered new filters since I figured it would be good to have anyway.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
S,

Thanks,

Jim R.
UPDATE!
New filters came in the other day and I was able to get them installed and get the pump going again. After running for a day everything looks great. Only a little bit of air in the BLUE basket and my pressure shows 20psi, my pool is starting to clear up. Thanks for all the help

Attachments

• 91FABE16-82AA-4720-89C3-7B2377FF3A3C.jpeg
    91FABE16-82AA-4720-89C3-7B2377FF3A3C.jpeg
    430 KB · Views: 4
  • 201F7F84-3122-4DEE-8EFB-E6FBB5A33BF2.jpeg
    201F7F84-3122-4DEE-8EFB-E6FBB5A33BF2.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.