Air blowing from new 011056 Intelliflo VSF pump

lowercase

Jan 2, 2023
Las Vegas
I recently had a new Pentair 011056 installed.
When the pump is running, I can feel air blowing out of the top (which I never noticed on the old pump).
Is this normal? I thought the air was to just come out of the back? This feels like it is blowing from under the keypad.
In the attached image, I can feel air blowing straight up through the area marked in the blue circle.

Attachments

• PXL_20230201_163733853.png
    PXL_20230201_163733853.png
    736.5 KB · Views: 6
Yes. But the air definitely appears to be coming from the top - much more air blowing from the top than directly from the back where the fan should come out. Is that normal?
It feels like the air is coming from between the pump and the keypad on top - the opposite end of the fan as seen in the picture.

There is a gap between the drive and the motor to allow air to blow.

The shroud is designed to blow air between the motor and drive.

You can see that the shroud is a larger diameter at the top.

1675272738102.png

Reactions: lowercase
The pump is running low - 1800 rpm.
If this seems normal, I won't worry about. I just never walked by the old pump and felt the air blowing on me is all.
On your old motor/pump, air was pulled internally through the vents on the front bottom and came out the vents at the rear, bottom or back depending on the motor frame.
New pump air is blown over the case, between the drive and main body, externally as the motor is sealed. Keeps the electronics cool as well as the motor case.
All electric motors generate a lot of heat. It has to be carried off or the motor will burn. The lower the RPM, the less heat is generated on a VSP.

Reactions: lowercase

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On your old motor/pump, air was pulled internally through the vents on the front bottom and came out the vents at the rear, bottom or back depending on the motor frame.
New pump air is blown over the case, between the drive and main body, externally as the motor is sealed. Keeps the electronics cool as well as the motor case.
All electric motors generate a lot of heat. It has to be carried off or the motor will burn. The lower the RPM, the less heat is generated on a VSP.
This makes perfect sense as to why I didn't notice it on the old pump. Thanks to everyone for their input. I'll consider this one solved.

Reactions: Jimrahbe and JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.