Air Blower Shutting Off after few seconds

SuperMiguel

Nov 26, 2017
Florida
Hello all, i have a 5x11 spa on my pool, with 7 Spa jets, im not sure what kind they are but i know they used a Waterway Poly Gunite Jet Wrench Tool to put them on, and they look like these: https://www.amazon.com/Waterway-Plastics-806105021465-Internal-Adjustable/dp/B003VW0S4W/ (but dont quote me on those being 100%)

So the problem, my pool is new and i been running the pump at 3450 RPM as suggested by PB, if i change my valves to return to the spa jet and turn on the blower i get water on all 7, but only 5 have water+air, and after a few seconds the blower shuts off, it doesnt trip the breaker, and i cant use it for few minutes. I just tried not switching the valves to the spa, and having the return somewhere else to the pool, turned the blower one, and runs ok, it sends water everywhere but all 7 jets seem to get air.

Any ideas?

Lower the rpm on the pump to 3000 rpm or even lower when you have the blower on. Likely too much back pressure on the blower.

Reactions: DavidArmenB
Too much air for your number of jets.

You likely need to put a three way valve under the blower to vent some air. Then put a muffler on the exhaust.

Or go with out the blower. How do the jets work with out the blower on?

Reactions: swreeder70
Reactions: mknauss
Or a variable speed controller to adjust the speed of the motor blower can be installed.

Too much air for your number of jets.

You likely need to put a three way valve under the blower to vent some air. Then put a muffler on the exhaust.

Or go with out the blower. How do the jets work with out the blower on?

So you guys dont think there something wrong with the pipes, or some dirt?

Im just trying to understand how it is supposed to work? So lets use the 2.8k RPM scenario, 6 out of the 7 jets work fine, how would lowering the air amount allow my 7th jet to work? Wouldnt that make my other jets not work?

and turn on the blower i get water on all 7, but only 5 have water+air, and after a few seconds the blower shuts off,
6 out of the 7 jets work fine,
OK -- let's be sure we are all on the same page.
If one jet is not working, and the other 6 are fine, then take that jet out and see if it is plugged.

If the blower is overheating, then 6 of the 7 jets are not working fine.

OK -- let's be sure we are all on the same page.
If one jet is not working, and the other 6 are fine, then take that jet out and see if it is plugged.

If the blower is overheating, then 6 of the 7 jets are not working fine.
Ok here are the few scenarios:

With the blower off, and valve on the spa position, all jets have water stream
With the blower on and pump at 3400 RPM, all 7 still have water stream and only 5 have air on them (Blower overheats)
With the blower on and pump at 2800 RPM, all 7 still have water stream and only 6 have air on them (Blower overheats)
With the blower on and pump at 1500 RPM, all 7 still have water stream and 7 have air on them (Need to check if Blower overheats)

With the blower on and pump OFF, all 7 have air on them (Blower ran for 5 min and never shut off, i can run it longer to check)

OK -- sounds like things are not plugged. Just too much water flow and air flow at the same time. Reducing water flow allows things to work (not sure on blower overheating). So if you reduce air flow, you should be able to pump more water.

Or put in jets with larger orifices.

Have you tried using the spa with the pump at 3000 rpm or so and the blower OFF?
Sorry -- with the blower off, how much air was coming out of the jets?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So you guys dont think there something wrong with the pipes, or some dirt?

If you turn on water alone and get water out of all 7 and you turn on air alone and bet air out of all 7 then it shows there is no blockage.

Do you have any pics of the plumbing of the spa and jets before it was covered in gunite?

If you turn on water alone and get water out of all 7 and you turn on air alone and bet air out of all 7 then it shows there is no blockage.

Do you have any pics of the plumbing of the spa and jets before it was covered in gunite?

Sorry about bad pictures but thats all i got, The ones circled in red are the trouble ones.

Attachments

• IMG_9483.jpg
    IMG_9483.jpg
    719.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9484.jpg
    IMG_9484.jpg
    599.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9487.jpg
    IMG_9487.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9487 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_9487 - Copy.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 8
Note that the two problem jets are where the air and water pipes enter the loop. That is the area of highest water pressure that the blower cannot overcome. The jets that are further down the loop get less water pressure.

Look at the blower selection page and calculations in the Jandy Blower manual. I think a lot of 90s were used on your air line increasing the back pressure.

And what air hole size does your jets have?

Note that the two problem jets are where the air and water pipes enter the loop. That is the area of highest water pressure that the blower cannot overcome. The jets that are further down the loop get less water pressure.

Look at the blower selection page and calculations in the Jandy Blower manual. I think a lot of 90s were used on your air line increasing the back pressure.

And what air hole size does your jets have?

I need to buy the tool to remove 1 and get the true part number, but the hole itself on the jet is about an index finger wide, here are a few pictures of them:

The middle piece rotates but not sure what the rotation is for, some of them move around others are locked in place (not sure if different models or installed right/wrong)

Attachments

• Image-1.jpeg
    Image-1.jpeg
    582.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Image-2.jpeg
    Image-2.jpeg
    784.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Image-3.jpeg
    Image-3.jpeg
    847.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The middle piece rotates but not sure what the rotation is for, some of them move around others are locked in place (not sure if different models or installed right/wrong)

Note that the Jandy Blower Installation Manual says:

Do not install adjustable jets. These may cause excessive back pressure.

This may be part of your problem.

Any luck on getting your air blower to run your spa properly? I’m one year post build & Silencer still shutting off. Just upgraded burned out 1.5 with 2.0 & no difference. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. TIA

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.