Aiper Scuba S1 Review

Let's see if this works....

Firmware update.
Thanks for sharing, I saw there is a wireless output by the Aiper S1 (standard) but I could not get the app to read it because the app said it was for the S1 Pro. I will try your process

Thanks for sharing, I saw there is a wireless output by the Aiper S1 (standard) but I could not get the app to read it because the app said it was for the S1 Pro. I will try your process
You have to select the Scuba S1 under the model options. Follow the directions and it should walk you through it.

I'll be honest I had some trouble with their app and figuring how to connect to the bot. Eventually I got it but not without some aggravation.

Reactions: HermanTX
A much more opinionated review site.
It's interesting that he puts the Scuba S1 at the bottom of all the Aiper models, even apparently below the cheaper ones like the Seagull SE. He seems to love the older Seagull Pro but hasn't reviewed the new Scuba Pro line.

Tech Hive 2024 robot pool cleaners
I'm still working my way through his review. My concern is that the entire internet says that knob seizes up.

There is hope!

After updating the firmware and charging the Scuba I ran it in floor only mode...

It started off sorta bumbling around going from the shallow end to the deep end before it started to run in a more normalized S pattern in a perpendicular pattern to the length of the pool.

Initially the Scuba got stuck on my drain, which afik has never happened before. I quickly pulled it off with the hook (I should've waited). It started up it's pattern again before getting hung up on the other drain, but this time I waited to see if it would unstuck itself. Sure enough it did after a minute or so. After getting going again it briefly got hung on the other drain again before managing to get off it and continuing on its merry way.

The Scuba was advancing towards the transition in that perpendicular S pattern which was always the problem pattern. I will point out for reasons mentioned later, that while it was running in this pattern it was at a slight 2 or 3 degree angle so not perfectly perpendicular.

Anyway, I stood there watching as it advanced to the point where it would normally get stuck. Once it reached this point at first it appeared to me it was getting hung up in the same spot again, but I kept watching...

And watching some more....

About to throw in the towel, what I didn't notice was that the bot was actually advancing but not quite at the same level it would on flat ground. But eventually it cleared the Crest and alas was in the shallow end.

I say "There is hope" because I'm not totally convinced the advancement was not do to the 3 degree angle it was running which may have assisted the bot's ability to advance just enough.

Stay tuned for round 2....
When mine goes up the steep incline in a back & forth S pattern, it also goes slightly more than 90 degrees which I’m guessing is to help it “fight” the gravity effect of the slope and not slide back downhill.

Ran my Scuba S1 after installing the new firmware update, and it cleaned the deep end much better and was easily able to navigate the incline to get to the shallow end. So far, absolutely LOVE this robot and haven't had any problems. Just reply to this post if you're having any problems and I'll be glad to try to HELP YOU too!!!

Reactions: Gyre and cssnms
When mine goes up the steep incline in a back & forth S pattern, it also goes slightly more than 90 degrees which I’m guessing is to help it “fight” the gravity effect of the slope and not slide back downhill.
I don't think this bot is that smart, there is seemingly nothing intelligent about how it operates to include not even recognizing that it has traveled the same path a dozen times. Mapping would help with that, that and intelligent operating adjustments while underway.

Reactions: Timetofloat
I was away for several days and came home to a semi-dirty pool due to rain and wind blowing leaves. I dropped the S1 in and 3 hrs later it was clean. After 2 hrs it was clean and I left it in to see where it would park itself. With a Freeform pool I like that it does random paths (to some extent). It first goes across the narrow part of the pool, then when it gets to the other end, it switches to lengthwise tracks. I appears to find everything on the floor. I had set for floor only mode.

I'm still working my way through his review. My concern is that the entire internet says that knob seizes up.
I believe member @tcat has the Seagull Pro and said in an earlier post in this thread that he can turn the knob but he has to use a lot of strength.

Between that and the Seagull Pro using wheels instead of treads makes me prefer the Scuba S1 right now. Also, the Seagull Pro is one year older and I doubt these manufacturers will stand behind their products for very long.

Reactions: HermanTX
Ran my Scuba S1 after installing the new firmware update, and it cleaned the deep end much better and was easily able to navigate the incline to get to the shallow end. So far, absolutely LOVE this robot and haven't had any problems. Just reply to this post if you're having any problems and I'll be glad to try to HELP YOU too!!!
Do you have a vinyl pool or is it made of something else?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe member @tcat has the Seagull Pro and said in an earlier post in this thread that he can turn the knob but he has to use a lot of strength.

Between that and the Seagull Pro using wheels instead of treads makes me prefer the Scuba S1 right now. Also, the Seagull Pro is one year older and I doubt these manufacturers will stand behind their products for very long.
Definitely takes 2 hands to turn the knob, but as long as it turns, it's not worth returning it since it works so well. Once it "clicks" off whatever it's stick on, it turns easily. But I would buy the Scuba S1 if buying today.

Definitely takes 2 hands to turn the knob, but as long as it turns, it's not worth returning it since it works so well. Once it "clicks" off whatever it's stick on, it turns easily. But I would buy the Scuba S1 if buying today.
Have you used both, tcat? I was all set to click 'buy' on the Scuba but that tech site review scared me away. He didn't give much detail beyond "didn't clean pool" but it seems like the Scuba would use the same software the Seagull does. So it *should* be just a Seagull with treads. Still, I haven't used either.

Have you used both, tcat? I was all set to click 'buy' on the Scuba but that tech site review scared me away. He didn't give much detail beyond "didn't clean pool" but it seems like the Scuba would use the same software the Seagull does. So it *should* be just a Seagull with treads. Still, I haven't used either.
Have not used the Scuba, since I'm happy with the Seagull. I used a few drops of WD40 on the knob today, and it's now easy to turn with one hand! If I was buying today I'd get the Scuba (and send it back if it had issues).

Aiper can't locate my package and didn't really provide a good answer as to why. I believe the customer service is outsourced globally as there is a lack of communication in our emails with each other.

They are refunding me now.

Is there a way you can explain how to do this upgrade. I can’t open the attachment

Is there a way you can explain how to do this upgrade. I can’t open the attachment
Curious about this too. Doesn't seem to be anything on website about firmware upgrades. Can it be applied to the Seagull? Or is it a factory mod?

It would be interesting to see if any of the recently shipped S1's ship with the newer firmware.
i doubt it. They probably have thousands of these things in warehouse across the country and beyond. No way will they have the upgrade in them and who knows when the ones being made today going forward will get that fix?
I’m concerned about how we get it and the instructions needed to upload it for our Scuba’s.
Perhaps someone who figures this out and has successfully uploaded it can do a you-tube video to walk the rest of us thru it??. Just a thought.

that firmware must be for pro only as there is no way to connect the non-pro model to the regular s1. I'm done with my adventure anyhow and I'm shipping mine back for refund today. Bit the bullet and spent way too much money on the beatbot. But the S1 was almost good enough to completely replace my hose and pole and I'm hopeful the beatbot can makeup for what the s1 did not do well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support