Aiper Scuba S1 Review

I'm sad to report I will be boxing up the Scuba S1 to be returned. After 8 full cycles the pool still isn't clean. Large sections of the shallow end were not covered even once. Perhaps the shape of my pool doesn't match the programming. Hopefully this works well for others in their pool.

I'm sad to report I will be boxing up the Scuba S1 to be returned. After 8 full cycles the pool still isn't clean. Large sections of the shallow end were not covered even once. Perhaps the shape of my pool doesn't match the programming. Hopefully this works well for others in their pool.
See if you can exchange for the Seagull Pro, basically same price. My pool is kidney with big radii between bottom and walls. I'd say it hits 99% of the floors in floor mode and 95% of the wall in wall mode.

Reactions: HermanTX
about seven feet. Once it finds its way into the deep end, it isn't easily heading back to the shallow end.

I also have three drains in the deep end with safety covers that it bounces around on.

I also have a bit of debris for it to clear so the basket gets full. That could be contributing. I'll see how it goes over the weekend.

TBH, if today was my deadline for a return it would be boxed

Could you let us know how the return process goes since I fear I might be in the same boat. Hope they simply take it back under the 30 day money back guarantee

Reactions: Dan-H
See if you can exchange for the Seagull Pro, basically same price. My pool is kidney with big radii between bottom and walls. I'd say it hits 99% of the floors in floor mode and 95% of the wall in wall mode.
There seem to have been many reports about the dial seizing up on the Seagull Pro.
Have you run into this issue yet?
I’m just wondering what they’re going to do about it, since it seems to be a design flaw.
Will they just abandon you after the warranty is up?
Or perhaps give you a discount on the latest model?

There seem to have been many reports about the dial seizing up on the Seagull Pro.
Have you run into this issue yet?
I’m just wondering what they’re going to do about it, since it seems to be a design flaw.
Will they just abandon you after the warranty is up?
Or perhaps give you a discount on the latest model?
It's a design flaw. It is hard to turn, but not seized up. Takes 2 hands, but once you get it off "off", it turns easily. I'm not sure if all of them do this, but I didn't think it was worth returning since I can turn it. I've run it 50-60 cycles in the past year without issue. Hopefully they've fixed the issue by now, but it's not a deal killer.

After following this thread for weeks I was about to purchase S1 today. Kidney shaped pool that goes from 3.5’ to 6’. But after the last few posts I feel like I should be going with Seagull?

After following this thread for weeks I was about to purchase S1 today. Kidney shaped pool that goes from 3.5’ to 6’. But after the last few posts I feel like I should be going with Seagull?
I have 3.5-6-3.5 sport pool. Rectangular. The S1 is awesome. I would highly suggest it

Life changed when I got the Betta. Debating on this cordless robot for bottom of pool. Have a suction cleaner now that builder gave us. Works good but I have to remove to use Betta.

Are you guys buying warranty on these?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's a design flaw. It is hard to turn, but not seized up. Takes 2 hands, but once you get it off "off", it turns easily. I'm not sure if all of them do this, but I didn't think it was worth returning since I can turn it. I've run it 50-60 cycles in the past year without issue. Hopefully they've fixed the issue by now, but it's not a deal killer.
I think I read a review on Amazon where some woman had to return it because she wasn’t physically strong enough to turn it.
Was it that hard to turn from the beginning or did it get worse over time?

I think I read a review on Amazon where some woman had to return it because she wasn’t physically strong enough to turn it.
Was it that hard to turn from the beginning or did it get worse over time?
Pretty sure it started out ok, but I did return it for another reason (I don't remember why, I think it quit charging). So the new one they sent had the hard to turn knob. It's like it's got a burr, and once you get out past it, it's no problem. Haven't had to use channel locks on it yet.

So after relentless social media ads I purchased the Scuba S1 two weeks ago. Bought it from Walmart for $550 and got the three year warranty. I was coming from a Polaris 280 that I hated. Was always replacing parts, untangling hoses, or just looking confused at it as it did nothing useful. I have a kidney shaped pool with a 9ft deep end and a 5-7ft tall sun ledge so my hopes were not super high, it seems like majority of these robots work best in rectangular pools. I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised, it’s far from perfect but 2 weeks in it’s looking like a keeper.
Pros:
- cleans the area it hits very well
- charges fast, runs for 2.5-3hrs
- pool has much less dust than with the Polaris just using the stock filter.
- will crawl all the way out my deep end
- will scrub the water line a decent amount

Cons:
- given the shape of my pool it doesn’t hit everything with one run, two runs will usually get most everything, haven’t really dialed in where to start to for the most efficient run.
- no smart navigation or mapping that I can tell
- hook takes a bit of practice especially when it stops in the deep end
- Charging port cover doesn’t seem super durable
- you do have to rememeber to charge it, take it in and out of pool.

I work from home so I will run it in the morning, charge it at lunch run again in the evening if needed. Mostly use the floor only mode. I expect taking it out of the pool when not in use will extend its life. Got two more weeks that I can return but so far so good. As you can see in n the photo it missed a decent strip after its first run, after the second run pool was in good shape.IMG_2950.jpegIMG_2951.jpegIMG_2952.jpegIMG_2953.jpegIMG_2954.jpeg

My experience is run it in floor mode and it will get everything. I am not a fan of auto mode.

However, I have not tried wall only mode either.
Wall mode works well, but you need to start it to the left of stairs (it moves ccw). My stairs mess it up.

My S1 will be delivered today. I’m assuming a free form pool where the floor and walls are not 90° angle is not a problem in floor mode? Since it’s not a hard stop at the wall will it try to climb and get confused or does it recognize the soft curve from floor to wall?

My S1 will be delivered today. I’m assuming a free form pool where the floor and walls are not 90° angle is not a problem in floor mode? Since it’s not a hard stop at the wall will it try to climb and get confused or does it recognize the soft curve from floor to wall?
My Pro has no issues, I'm sure the S1 won't have any. Mine has 12-18" radii. It climbs to about the top of the radius then backs up. Gets all the debris around the edges. Does get confused occasionally, seems to rotate a lot when there's no need. If you watch it for a while, you'll think there's no logic at all (may not be). If you walk away for 3 hours, the whole bottom is clean.

Reactions: 6XSBChamps
Is Aiper suppose to release a very fine mesh basket by chance? We have pavers and would love it to capture and trap fine sand/etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support