Aiming Return Jet

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
The eyeball on my return jet is not adjustable. When it is fully screwed onto the return it is shooting the water more or less straight out into the pool. I am considering removing it and adding a 1.5" plumbing adapter with a 45 degree elbow on it. Should I do this? Should the jet be aimed slightly down? This blog seems to think so

There is some that think a swirl effect would be better to bring surface debris to your skimmer. It will also put the solid debris in the center of the pool for you to vacuum up. Beyond that, there is no difference.

Reactions: Mdragger88
That article says
The eyeballs for water flow (SP1491B, SP1491C & SP1491D) are sized 3/8”, 1/2” & 3/4”, respectively. The smaller eyeball is used to generate more back-pressure on returns that are physically the farthest from the filter system. The larger and mid-sized eyeball is used on returns that are the closest to the filter system. Make sense?
No, that doesn't make sense. The farthest return has the weakest flow. To equalize the return flows, the closer ones should be more restricted, no? (Not that it makes that enough difference to equalize the flows that I would bother with different size eyeballs.) What am I missing?

That article says
No, that doesn't make sense. The farthest return has the weakest flow. To equalize the return flows, the closer ones should be more restricted, no? (Not that it makes that enough difference to equalize the flows that I would bother with different size eyeballs.) What am I missing?
It's like holding your thumb over the end of the hose. When you restrict the opening, the water sprays out harder, and you can squirt clear across the yard. Remove your thumb, wide opening, water just falls on your feet.

I do over (away from the skimmer) & down some - just under the water surface. It seems to help with the flow of debris to my skimmer.
You can get adjustable replacement eyeballs for a couple $ - i like to be able to adjust them if aeration is needed & I’m not using my fountain.

It's like holding your thumb over the end of the hose. When you restrict the opening, the water sprays out harder, and you can squirt clear across the yard. Remove your thumb, wide opening, water just falls on your feet.
Forgive me if I'm dubious. A hose has only one outlet, so that works. My pool has 5 returns. Restricting one will only send the water to the others. I am the kind of guy who sticks his fingers in the returns just for the heck of it.

• Haha
Reactions: Mdragger88
After all these years, I am curious to know if there is "consensus wisdom" on the best way to aim the return jets.
I have heard at least two ideas: one is to point them in a sideways fashion for creating a whirlpool-like effect for the pool, and another is to point them downwards to achieve better circulation. There are probably many other ideas out there, and I would love to be educated about this topic.

Reactions: Nicholasholmes424
I have 2 jets on my above ground pool so the top one is used to direct debris to the skimmer (counter clockwise) & the bottom one is just random lol 😂

Reactions: TexasBR

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On our 15' above ground I put a 90* elbow on my return and point it a little down so it still has good circular flow and also helps keep the bottom water going a little also. It seems to work for us, if I ever change it I might try a 45* elbow to see how that works because I have the eyeball pointed more toward the inside of the pool so a 45* might be slightly better.

IMG_20190601_160149339 (002).jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.