Aiming Return Jet

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
The eyeball on my return jet is not adjustable. When it is fully screwed onto the return it is shooting the water more or less straight out into the pool. I am considering removing it and adding a 1.5" plumbing adapter with a 45 degree elbow on it. Should I do this? Should the jet be aimed slightly down? This blog seems to think so

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
There is some that think a swirl effect would be better to bring surface debris to your skimmer. It will also put the solid debris in the center of the pool for you to vacuum up. Beyond that, there is no difference.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Rocket J Squirrel

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 7, 2018
Alamo, CA
That article says
The eyeballs for water flow (SP1491B, SP1491C & SP1491D) are sized 3/8”, 1/2” & 3/4”, respectively. The smaller eyeball is used to generate more back-pressure on returns that are physically the farthest from the filter system. The larger and mid-sized eyeball is used on returns that are the closest to the filter system. Make sense?
No, that doesn't make sense. The farthest return has the weakest flow. To equalize the return flows, the closer ones should be more restricted, no? (Not that it makes that enough difference to equalize the flows that I would bother with different size eyeballs.) What am I missing?

CrystalRiver

Jun 19, 2020
Massachusetts
That article says
No, that doesn't make sense. The farthest return has the weakest flow. To equalize the return flows, the closer ones should be more restricted, no? (Not that it makes that enough difference to equalize the flows that I would bother with different size eyeballs.) What am I missing?
It's like holding your thumb over the end of the hose. When you restrict the opening, the water sprays out harder, and you can squirt clear across the yard. Remove your thumb, wide opening, water just falls on your feet.

Mdragger88

Bronze Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Hernando, Ms
I do over (away from the skimmer) & down some - just under the water surface. It seems to help with the flow of debris to my skimmer.
You can get adjustable replacement eyeballs for a couple $ - i like to be able to adjust them if aeration is needed & I’m not using my fountain.

Rocket J Squirrel

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 7, 2018
Alamo, CA
It's like holding your thumb over the end of the hose. When you restrict the opening, the water sprays out harder, and you can squirt clear across the yard. Remove your thumb, wide opening, water just falls on your feet.
Forgive me if I'm dubious. A hose has only one outlet, so that works. My pool has 5 returns. Restricting one will only send the water to the others. I am the kind of guy who sticks his fingers in the returns just for the heck of it.

• Haha
Reactions: Mdragger88

Blacklisted

Sep 10, 2013
El Cajon CA
I have a 90* elbow on my return and have an adjustable eye also. I aim so it goes with the curve of the pool. It works good for me. I'm sure a 45 would work just as well.

IMG_20190601_160149339 (002).jpg