Ahhsome cleaner and no filter?

Yes. The tub manufacturer is telling you that the general use you need to have a filter to keep the water clean. For a one time cleaning process, it’s fine.

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
I put my hot tub filter in the dishwasher about every three weeks. The tub runs without at that point but I avoid doing it at the cleaning cycles. No issues... Just won't filter for the three or so hours it's out..

I put my hot tub filter in the dishwasher about every three weeks. The tub runs without at that point but I avoid doing it at the cleaning cycles. No issues... Just won't filter for the three or so hours it's out..
I think I would be run out of the house if I tried that - I am lucky if I can wash my hands in the kitchen sink without getting in trouble...:eek:

Late to the party here but thought I would offer a couple of comments on this topic

1. The reason you take the filters out when purging with ahh-some is because the amount of gunk released will likely plug up the filters and starve the pump

2. The dishwasher would be a clever de greaser to be sure but since dishes and silverware arent contaminated with skin oils and biofilms this isnt the best choice. I load up my five filters onto a seven foot piece of PVC pipe and set this contraption into the ahhsome dosed water. The idea here is that the filters harbor the same nasties as the pipes do so they should be cleaned with the same stuff

The dishwasher works for cleaning the spa filter since the TSP in dishwasher detergent is what is recommended for cleaning cartridge filters. If you don’t use the dishwasher you should still use TSP or dishwasher detergent to clean the filter soaking it in a bucket.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a note on dishwasher detergent chemistry - automatic dishwasher detergent hasn't contained TSP (trisodium phosphate) since the 1970's. The EPA all but banned the use of phosphate-based cleaning formulations as they were, unnecessarily, branded as the main cause of eutrophication of waterways (farm runoff is the real source of phosphate pollution in waters). Most dishwasher detergents utilize carbonates and organic surfactants. You can still purchase TSP as a granular powder in hardware stores (often sold in the paint section) but be careful not to pickup the "eco-friendly" TSP...which is not TSP at all but sodium carbonate (washing soda).

FYI - You can put a 1/2-teaspoon of Ahh-some in your dishwasher when you wash your spa cartridges. Ahh-some works great as a cleaner for the dishwasher and the washing machine.

Reactions: dlleno
And I have heard that adding back a half teaspoonoor so of TSP into dishwashing detergent makes dishwashers great again... From a friend of course.

Real TSP is banned in some US states though. TSP substitute is pretty worthless IMHO. (it is soda ash and sodium metasilicate) The most common brand sell the real stuff in a red box and the useless stuff in a green box...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.