AGP pool ideas

bhottle

Bronze Supporter
Jan 31, 2017
Washington, MI
Hello,

Basically I'm sick of going back and forth with my wife about an inground pool. I want one, she wants one, but the cost is a huge issue with her (we live in Michigan and obviously pool season is short). If we go AGP I'd like it to be as close to an inground pool as possible. Dug down, probably have to have a deck around instead of concrete. What kind of features can I have with an AGP? I assume water features are out? Always wanted deck jets, imagine that is out. Can I get lights in an AGP? Thanks for any help, if anybody has any pics of their AGP that they have fancied up let me know. Thanks!

Let's give your question a bump. Folks have fountains, decks, lights, etc in AGP's. Review this sub forum for threads of installs.

Just to keep in mind it can get pretty pricey if your sinking the pool and putting the deck around it. Our pool itself cost 10,000 once everything was done including water deliveries. I bought the pool online and had a contractor install it which was much cheaper than the pool places. Then we spent $6,000 or so on a deck which isn't that big compared to the pool. Then we had another few thousand on a retaining wall. We live in New Jersey so putting an inground in didn't seem worthwhile but if I was in a place where we had a longer season I would have just spent the extra money and put a in-ground in.

Hello,

Basically I'm sick of going back and forth with my wife about an inground pool. I want one, she wants one, but the cost is a huge issue with her (we live in Michigan and obviously pool season is short). If we go AGP I'd like it to be as close to an inground pool as possible. Dug down, probably have to have a deck around instead of concrete. What kind of features can I have with an AGP? I assume water features are out? Always wanted deck jets, imagine that is out. Can I get lights in an AGP? Thanks for any help, if anybody has any pics of their AGP that they have fancied up let me know. Thanks!

If I was going to bury the pool, the ones I would look at would be:
Doughboy Hydrosphere
Radiant
Aquasport

Definitely more expensive that traditional AG pools but, it may be the compromise you & your wife are looking for.
Best of luck in your search.
Respectfully,

I totally understand your post. Same... we have been going back and forth on getting a pool. We have ruled out an inground and the ONLY thing that is making me pause on an above ground pool is the fact that i want an above ground dropped in the ground with a nice deck!! The decking is so very expensive! I think deep inside I want an inground pool! LOL!! But, thats so much money to spend. Would absolutely love to see some nice above ground pools with all the lights and nice decking!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I totally understand your post. Same... we have been going back and forth on getting a pool. We have ruled out an inground and the ONLY thing that is making me pause on an above ground pool is the fact that i want an above ground dropped in the ground with a nice deck!! The decking is so very expensive! I think deep inside I want an inground pool! LOL!! But, thats so much money to spend. Would absolutely love to see some nice above ground pools with all the lights and nice decking!

I’ll let you know what I find out about this Radiant pool. Looks like it could be a promising compromise but I am curious the quote. I got 3 different quotes for ingrounds with liners (20x40). Including a fence I was right around $65k with all 3 companies.

Hi Neighbor.
We have an AGP, paver deck, paver patio and lots of fun stuff. I'll have to find a couple pics for you. Sorry, no fountain pics but there are great pics on this forum of people who have built one that attaches to their return line. We put in a deep end to 7 ft and shallow end is 3 1/2 ft. Look at my signature for all the details. We don't have lights but they do make magnetic ones that "stick" to the metal wall and use remote control to turn them on and off.
We open our AGP in mid-May and close mid-October. We do have a gas heater that we use a lot. :snorkle: Love having our pool. And love using TFP method.

Attachments

• DSCF0043.JPG
    DSCF0043.JPG
    577.1 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF0037.JPG
    DSCF0037.JPG
    603.9 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF0035.JPG
    DSCF0035.JPG
    657.7 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN0333.JPG
    DSCN0333.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 83
  • DSCF0045.JPG
    DSCF0045.JPG
    350.2 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF0033.JPG
    DSCF0033.JPG
    518.9 KB · Views: 82
There are lots of ways to dress up an above ground pool. Your wallet is what will limit the options you have.

If you are going to invest in expensive landscaping options and large decks you should really buy a high end pool frame that will hold up for years of use. If you can find one an aluminum framed pool might be worth the extra cost. If you are going to bury the pool make absolutely certain that the pool frame is rated for burial. Try to find a builder who has done a buried installation and is familiar with the process.

When I did my pool and deck project my pool (including installation by a builder and water) ended up being only about 25% of the overall cost. The deck and all the landscaping, for which I did all the labor, cost considerably more than the pool in material and equipment rental.

Depending on how big your ambitions are its easy to exceed 20k for an above ground pool.

20160807_082827_resized.jpg
image-20160826_165954_resized.jpg

I love the AGP ideas you all are showing.
Often seems the aftermarket for AG is limited compared to IG. Great to see all these creative ideas.

Speaking of lighting. I tried the Nitelighter 100 watt multi-color in our previous pool. (actually went through 2 of them) While I liked the way it worked, like most of the reviewers say, you're lucky to get a season out of them before they leak and die. I'm now trying the Innovalite wall mount in the new pool. I'll follow-up with a review of it once I've had it for a month or so. (It is bright enough to light our 16'x24' pool well)

Please keep passing along some of your cool pool additions.
Respectfully,

I wouldn't say aftermarket is limited for above ground pools. I would say quality aftermarket parts are what is limited. People treat above ground pools as temporary things and just aren't willing to spend money on expensive well built water features or lighting.

Don't limit your ideas to just things labled for above ground pools. Many things that are labled as for in ground pools will work just fine for any above ground.

Our AG went in last year. This year we're adding decking and landscaping, so I don't have any good pics ... yet.

Be sure to check with your pool builder/excavator regarding your soil type. We have clay and even 11 years after building our house, we have some pretty significant shifting and heaving near the foundation in the spring. That determined how close to the house we could put ours, and how deep they could dig. Part of our landscaping project this year is completely digging out and reinstalling our paver patio and deck footings with much better drainage before the deck section for the pool goes in. Ugh, I hate the clay, and I can't wait for all of this to be done. I wanted an in-ground, but in MN it hurts resale. At least the AG can be pulled out, the ground leveled, and an extended patio/fire pit put in its place when we eventually leave.

I did an Azeck deck when installing the pool. Added a stamped concrete patio with firepit the next summer after connecting to town sewer and major lawn repair - hence the grass color differences which are well blended now.IMG_0278.JPG

Reactions: Panzer
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.