AGP ladder - how to keep child safe?

Children should never be allowed unsupervised access to the pool. Covering the ladder is not a replacement for a fence. In many areas of the US all entrances to the pool must be fenced with a child-proof fence, or alarmed, or both. I would think Canada has similar regulations.

What kind of above ground pool do you have? Could you post a picture? How old are the kids? I would not pull the ladder out if there are things in the area they could drag over to get into the pool.

Children should never be allowed unsupervised access to the pool. Covering the ladder is not a replacement for a fence. In many areas of the US all entrances to the pool must be fenced with a child-proof fence, or alarmed, or both. I would think Canada has similar regulations.
Ok so there is an alarm function I can buy? Our yard is fenced, but our daughter is now able to open deadbolt doors from inside and could get access to the ladder. We got a permit to erect the pool last year. All that was required was a fenced in yard. No separate fence as it is an above ground pool.

What kind of above ground pool do you have? Could you post a picture? How old are the kids? I would not pull the ladder out if there are things in the area they could drag over to get into the pool.
It's a Coleman 12x22? steel frame pool. Kid is 3. The ladder that came with the pool hangs over the corner and is quite wonky.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so there is an alarm function I can buy? Our yard is fenced, but our daughter is now able to open deadbolt doors from inside and could get access to the ladder. We got a permit to erect the pool last year. All that was required was a fenced in yard. No separate fence as it is an above ground pool.
Our house has two deadbolts on each door leading to the backyard/pool area. The second is about a foot from the top of the door so little ones can’t open it. A friend has these and has added an alarm to those doors. Might help?

Around that age, I installed locks at the tops of my doors. Even with a chair pushed over, my daughter couldn't reach those locks. You could install a door alarm, so you'd know if it was opened. You could also just fence in the pool inside your fenced back yard (that's what I did, even with my little 12 foot pool). A locking safety ladder is a good idea, but, as the video shows, kids can climb those. With little kids, the best protection is a fence.

Reactions: PaigeMark
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.