AGP - 18X33X52" Filter/Pump Choice

Jun 11, 2018
NJ
I think I'm stuck. Setting up a new 18X33 AGP and looking at pumps/filters/ I see the Hayward 1 HP Powerflow Matrix pump (1592) and the 1.5 HP (1593). And then I see the Filters of the EC40 and EC50.

I was thinking for my 15,000 gallons, I would want to stick with a 1 hp pump, possibly the 2 speed and then go with a EC50 filter? Does that sound correct?

It seems that online, there's a tendancy to combine the 1 HP pump with the EC40 filter and then the 1.5 hp pump with the EC50 filter and sell them as a "system".

I just don't want to fall into the trap of buying "too big" of a pump at 1.5 hp if I don't need it AND too small of a filter..

How much of a benefit is a '2-speed' pump? I have the pump wired up to a timer where it will go on and off automatically at set times.

Thanks for any input!

The 2 speed pump is NEEDED! You will run it on low speed most of the time. This will save you money on your power bill. You can go with the lower hp pump BUT go as big as you can on the filters. The bigger the filter the less you have to clean it!

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.