After two weeks of SLAMing pool I'm frustrated and disheartened, am I on the right path?

for example last night I lost 10 ppm of FC.
And one more thing, I've noticed when I run my pool robot every day I loose 5-6ppm of FC!
COMPLETELY unrelated. Running a robot has no relationship to FC loss. Unless, you have a layer of live algae on your pool bottom that your robot is stirring up into the chlorinated water.

You are having some really bizarre chlorine fluctuations.........losses for which there are really no answers. You are using the K-2006 FAS/DPD chlorine test, correct? You are comortable with your testing methods, too,,,,,,correct?

COMPLETELY unrelated. Running a robot has no relationship to FC loss. Unless, you have a layer of live algae on your pool bottom that your robot is stirring up into the chlorinated water.

You are having some really bizarre chlorine fluctuations.........losses for which there are really no answers. You are using the K-2006 FAS/DPD chlorine test, correct? You are comortable with your testing methods, too,,,,,,correct?

Yes, I'm using the K-2006 and very comfortable with the testing methods as I've done so dang many of them over the last couple of week. I thought the FC loss while using the robot was strange as well. I was wondering if it might be because of the bags never getting 100% clean. I'll clean the bag and leave it in the pool while I SLAM today.

At this point overnight FC looks good (2 nights in a row good) just CC being at 1 is the current issue.

I would caution against putting the robot in the pool during very high chlorine levels. It even states in the owners manual about doing so. The high chlorine levels can do a number on the cord and it’s plastic parts.
If you think the bot may have some algae, simply clean it out good, and let it dry out completely in the sun for a couple of days.

Reactions: paulgyro
I would caution against putting the robot in the pool during very high chlorine levels. It even states in the owners manual about doing so. The high chlorine levels can do a number on the cord and it’s plastic parts.
If you think the bot may have some algae, simply clean it out good, and let it dry out completely in the sun for a couple of days.

Thanks Rob! I'll remove the robot.

Two more thing I just wanted to add for complete info here.
1) There is still about 0.5 ppm Copper in the water from a Costco Solar Ionizer that was removed per TFP recommendation against metal in pool.
2) Last Monday out of frustration and hoping to help speed up the SLAM process I added Poly 60 algaecide to the pool.

Could either of these be consuming the FC or causing the CC = 1?

Paul

for example last night I lost 10 ppm of FC.
Bizarre. If you lost 10 FC overnite 12 days or so into the SLAM, how much FC have you been losing in the twelve days prior.......should be at LEAST 10 ppm or more. What has been the look of your pool water for the past 5 days or so?

If you lost 10 FC overnite 12 days or so into the SLAM, how much FC have you been losing in the twelve days prior.

Note at the start of the SLAM I was only testing/adding chlorine 2-3 a day.
I looked back at my log (only started logging on 8/6) and I had a REALLY hard time getting my FC up at the start because I want I believe was weak Walmart liquid chlorine AND massive FC consumption AND only adding twice a day.

Here is a quick dump of ~6am morning FC readings

8/6: 1.6
8/7: 4.5
8/8: 12.5
8/9: 11 (started adding/testing 5-6 times a day which really helped the FC stabilize)
8/10: 23.5
8/11: 30
8/12: 23.5

What has been the look of your pool water for the past 5 days or so?

Perfect and clear as a bell!

I just noticed that last night I FAILED the over night chlorine loose test after pass on Friday and Saturday night.

I guess I keep SLAMing and pray? :(

I am trying to look at your daily FC consumption. Your AM numbers don't tell the story because you don't include how much FC you are adding.

It doesn't need to be perfect, but can you tell how much FC you have been consuming daily since 8/6?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am trying to look at your daily FC consumption. Your AM numbers don't tell the story because you don't include how much FC you are adding.

It doesn't need to be perfect, but can you tell how much FC you have been consuming daily since 8/6?

Ok so I crunched the numbers based on my log and my target FC of 28.

Since 8/6 to today the average daily FC consumption has been 24.

Here is the break down.
8/6: 50
8/7: 46
8/8: 33
8/9: 30.5
8/10: -3.5 (I had a net gain!)
8/11: 2
8/12: 10.5 with two readings today.

New update, we swam today for the first in over a week so I closely inspected my small pool light. There is a chip on the edge and I can see green stuff inside it. Looks nasty. Could this be my problem child? If so what do I do about it?

Paul

I'd try injecting some straight bleach into the spot while brushing. A syringe would do the trick.

Any tiny spot of algae will throw off your water.

Might invest in some goggles and a few days of monitoring/scrubbing. I would not cover it up with caulk till you're sure it's gone.

Reactions: paulgyro

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.