After opening pool, 3 days later still not clear water, though blue?

Good to keep it going till the water looks clear and the OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test) shows a loss of <1.0 FC when initial test is after dark and the final test is the next day before sunlight hits the pool.
It's not counted in days. If you stop too soon, you'll either prolong your agony continuing the SLAM or your pool will turn green after a period of time. If you follow TFP methods, you won't have to worry about a green pool (unless you colored it that way) LOL
Study this: Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) - Trouble Free Pool

I do probably need to revisit the slam method in particular, however..

Yeah i had been using the generic chlorox from dollar general for years, the 7.65% or whatever content they list, its always worked. This is the first year with an issue.
I would really take a close look at that generic clorox. In my anecdotal experience, all the generic brands have switched to including FPT (fabric protection technology). You really don't want that to be your problem. It also may not be 8% anymore.

Two years ago was my first opening, and after the algae was dead, my pool wasn't clearing. Turns out I had a compromised filter cartridge. I confirmed this by holding my skimmer net in front of the jet and it was blowing out all kinds of debris. I bought a new filter cartridge and the pool cleared up within a few days (noticeably clearing each day). As others have said, your filter is the key to clearing the dead algae.

Now about 3 days in fully running 24/7, checking and maintaining about 25 FC, though this afternoon it hit 21, so i boosted it again.

I can see the checkered pattern on the bottom, but the robot is still foggy a bit, so the water is still not clear.
Would there be any advantage to actually buying shock rather than using chlorox (i had a few gallons left so i used all but 1 now)? Cya reagent doesnt come till tomorrow. Price wise it doesnt look to be any better though (shock)

If you are actually using Clorox, that could be part of the problem you are having with cloudy water. Clorox is not to be used in pools. It has an additive called Cloromax, that is a chlorine resistant polymer. Use liquid chlorine, or plain bleach.

I called the local shop to get some ideas, i know this is against the grain some, however the first thing they asked me how old my sand was (4.5 years old).. they said thats getting pretty old, suggested i shut it down (drain the tank if necessary), scoop off the top layer see if mucky and if it the sand keeps showing muck going down 2, 3 4 or even 6 plus inches, then that was the issue, that if i get to a point it stops i can just add a bag of sand if i made it 7 inches or so (or try to painstakingly take out the sand and refill it).

If you are actually using Clorox, that could be part of the problem you are having with cloudy water. Clorox is not to be used in pools. It has an additive called Cloromax, that is a chlorine resistant polymer. Use liquid chlorine, or plain bleach.
Its the dollar general plain bleach basically, i've used it without issue the last few years.
I think ill check the sand situation first perhaps, in case its just not filtering.

I called the local shop to get some ideas, i know this is against the grain some, however the first thing they asked me how old my sand was (4.5 years old).. they said thats getting pretty old, suggested i shut it down (drain the tank if necessary), scoop off the top layer see if mucky and if it the sand keeps showing muck going down 2, 3 4 or even 6 plus inches, then that was the issue, that if i get to a point it stops i can just add a bag of sand if i made it 7 inches or so (or try to painstakingly take out the sand and refill it).

Pool school says:

Sand Filters

• Filters particles down to 30 microns, largest of the three types
• Simple to backwash when pressure rises 25% above the clean pressure
• Uses the most water to backwash
• Deep clean filter once a year

So it sounds like new sand might be in order.

Also, as mknauss said, no more Clorox, it isn't plain bleach.

Were you asking about liquid pool shock or powdered?

Pool school says:

Sand Filters

• Filters particles down to 30 microns, largest of the three types
• Simple to backwash when pressure rises 25% above the clean pressure
• Uses the most water to backwash
• Deep clean filter once a year

So it sounds like new sand might be in order.

Also, as mknauss said, no more Clorox, it isn't plain bleach.

Were you asking about liquid pool shock or powdered?
Well i guess either liquid pool shock or the granular stuff (i think i used those 1lb bags once before), some generic i found locally.

Not sure what deep cleaning is for the sand, curious on that, but i do the 2 min backwash and 30sec rinse mode every 2-3 weeks when things are normal. My pressure on the gauge never really changes much as weeks go by, oddly.

So im hoping my shop vac is pretty strong since it will be wet, but i assume once out or at least cut down 7" i could get away with just putting one fresh bag in if its tough to remove..
after this i think i'm supposed to fill it up with water to a certain point like when opening, then turn things back on?

Funny i originally was being lazy skipping this year to change the sand and it might have been the whole reason i have had this mess.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would stick to liquid chlorine, usually called shock. Powders usually add other things to your water.

To me deep cleaning (and others with sand filters can weigh in) would be changing the sand. At least that is what my dad did when I was a kid.

Also, I would consider throwing some DE into the new sand when you change it. As someone suggested above. Believe it or not, slightly dirty sand will filter better than brand new sand.

Deep cleaning the sand is not changing it. Sand does not wear out. It can get compromised by floc or clarifier, but normally a deep clean is sufficient. See Pool School for instructions.

You're getting "Pool Stored". "Oh the sand must be bad, so dig some out until it looks clean. Then come back here and buy more sand from us." :deal:

Deep cleaning sand means sticking a hose into the sand and flushing it out with water. Be careful not to go deep enough to hit the laterals in your filter. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Many of us here on the forum have been "pool stored" and we want to help others avoid it. We are not here to make pool care harder or expensive, but easier and affordable. Once you get to the "sparkly clear water" you will see and understand why TFP does things the way they do.

You're getting "Pool Stored". "Oh the sand must be bad, so dig some out until it looks clean. Then come back here and buy more sand from us." :deal:

Deep cleaning sand means sticking a hose into the sand and flushing it out with water. Be careful not to go deep enough to hit the laterals in your filter. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Many of us here on the forum have been "pool stored" and we want to help others avoid it. We are not here to make pool care harder or expensive, but easier and affordable. Once you get to the "sparkly clear water" you will see and understand why TFP does things the way they do.
Ah, ok, so maybe i can just flush it out?
Whats the best way to do this though? (Ill check that link), i mean, drain the water, put the cap back on, spray using the hose mixing things up, let it drain back out etc.
EDIT: i see the video, so basically drain it first, then plug it, take anything off the top layer , poke hose inside till overflows (various areas keep working it), then wait till clear overflow and done. I hope that works.

Last edited:
Reactions: mariane
so, you started this clean up around 10 days ago by randomly dumping some kind of bleach that may or may not have additives in the pool, you don't know your CYA level, you only ran the pump a few hours per day until recently and now you are asking about powders and starting to take advice from a pool store about old sand. you have been given solid consistant advice to read the SLAM article and other things from Pool School yet clearly haven't or won't. I'm thinking you aren't serious about getting your pool cleaned up.

Reactions: kellyfair
so, you started this clean up around 10 days ago by randomly dumping some kind of bleach that may or may not have additives in the pool, you don't know your CYA level, you only ran the pump a few hours per day until recently and now you are asking about powders and starting to take advice from a pool store about old sand. you have been given solid consistant advice to read the SLAM article and other things from Pool School yet clearly haven't or won't. I'm thinking you aren't serious about getting your pool cleaned up.
Im not the first person or the last that has used standard bleach as a substitute (even noted in many threads here too), i really dont think that was the issue either. I've done that for 5 years without any issue, ever. I tested the CYA, it was in fact a 62, so i've been slamming now for 15 plus days keeping at around 24 on the FC, no issue there either.
The only missing link was the sand pump. Old dirty sand. Last night i spent nearly 30 mins flushing it out, there were still a few particles coming out after 30 mins but it was clear. Left it run all night again, woke up checked the situation, still cloudy. Again this sand was never deep cleaned in 4+ seasons.

I guess at this point the only thing left to do is physically change the sand (or keep hoping the slam wins). I did also order some of the "walmart" chlorine gallons suggested above.

What are the odds if i just let the fc drop to more normal levels it will clear (due to the chlorine being high its cloudy or is that not a thing)?

Someone else here has the same exact issue but no word on if it was resolved or how.
EDIT: i do some notes that it can take up to 20-30 days in worst case, thats a long time but could be the case here

Im not the first person or the last that has used standard bleach as a substitute (even noted in many threads here too), i really dont think that was the issue either. I've done that for 5 years without any issue, ever
Every pool has its limits to where the polymers in modern laundry bleach will affect the water quality and/or foam up. People panic when they add a jug by accident but one jug will never matter. From there it gets different for everybody. Does 5 jugs cause problems ? 25 ? 50? The unknown is unknown, of course, but what is known is that it will eventually cause problems.

due to the chlorine being high its cloudy or is that not a thing
Higher FC will not cause cloudiness. Ironically if the polymers cause cloudiness, only more bleach will solve the problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.