Afraid Of My Pool

Nov 1, 2018
Rotonda West FL
Hello Everyone !

Brand new to the forum and I am hoping someone can help me. So here goes my story.

Moved to SW Florida in February to a home with a new built in pool. The size is 12000 gallons. The pool was set up as chlorine. We had a weekly pool service come in to take care of the pool and at the time knew nothing of the chemistry of the pool. Tabs were not used. He used liquid chlorine on a weekly basis, along with MA. I had no problems with the pool as far as any skin irritation. Everything seemed to be fine.

In the beginning of August we decided to convert over to a saltwater pool thinking it would be better for our skin and less maintenance, according to what all of our friends were telling us. I had been in saltwater pools previously and had not had a problem with them.
So, the first week of August we had the saltwater system installed by Pinch A Penny. All seemed good the first week. I felt the immediate difference in the softness of the water. It felt good.

The following week our pool service company shows up for the weekly maintenance and decides to add another bag of salt to the pool as he felt the salt content was too low. This is when it all went bad. The next day I went in and had a immediate skin reaction. My skin was burning and itchy and a slight rash developed, a week later, I tried it again and it was still happening. The pool service came out again and said our chlorine was at a 8 and adjustments had to be made on the system. This was done and for another month the rash continued every time I went in the pool even though they said it was balanced which we backed up with pinch a penny. There were adjustments with ph etc but overall both stated they could not figure out why I was having a rash. We did find out the stabilizer was high so thought maybe that was it. By this time I could not longer take it and we decided to go back to the chlorine and get rid of the salt system.

Our stabilizer was about 160, and we had to get the salt out, so we drained half the pool twice and added fresh water and went back to the way we had it. Only problem is, the rash has continued with the same itchy burning when I get in and when I get out of the pool. We are at our wits end as to what is causing this. I went to the dermatologist who said it looks like eczema but could not tell me why. I can pin point exactly when this started which was when we converted the pool. We have since let the pool company go and purchased a Taylor K 20006 C test kit and back it up with Pinch A Penny testing. We are still using the liquid chlorine which he almost has to add every other day to maintain the chlorine and MA, balancing is crazy. We keep being told because it is a new pool. Hesitant to switch to the inline chlorine feeder with tabs as from what I am read the tabs will make the stabilizer continuously
So, I am left with, what is causing the problem. The pool company said perhaps there was a additive in the salt that caused the problem and it is still in the pool. They say however there salt it pure, so does Pinch A Penny. Neither have ever heard of a reaction. Soooo, we went back to Pinch a Penny this a.m. Our salt is reading 1200. We questioned why so high after draining half the pool 2 months ago. He said could be the liquid chlorine. I asked both Pinch a Penny and the pool service company what brand of chlorine they use, thinking okay, maybe this is the issue. Pinch a penny uses Allied and our pool company uses Odyssey in Tampa. Now even though we let the pool company go we have used the same chlorine from them since day 1. They left us a jug last week, so that has not changed.

Our pool is not in balance today, but wasn't bad 3 days ago when I was in. Balancing act every day between PH and TA.

Here are the numbers from today.

TC: 5.0. This is high was we just added in 2 days ago.
FC: 5.0
PH: 7.8 (MA added this a.m. to lower within range of 7.4 - 7.6
TA: 85
Calcium: 300
Stabilizer: 30 (this is low)
TDS: 2,000

So, if anyone out there can suggest anything that might be causing this rash and irritation, it would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Are the test results you show above from your 2006C?

pH is the typical culprit when it comes to skin irritation. Also it is impossible to maintain a pool with weekly additions of liquid chlorine. Especially in Florida.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Recommend you stop going to the pool stores and trust your own testing.
Salt will not cause irritation. And adding liquid chlorine (really any kind of chlorine) and MA will also add salt to the water, so it can go up.
Irritation is usually due to high CC and sometimes pH (although I have heard stories of people swimming in pH WAY out of range with no objections).

FYI, a 5ppm of FC is not high when you realize the relationship with the CYA. See the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Hi! Welcome to TFP. So sorry to hear about your challenges. Let's see what we got...

First, changing water a half at a time, twice, is not the same as changing it all at once. That method left salt in the pool. Probably quite a lot. There's math for that, but I don't know it off hand.

Second, there could be salt in your fill water, so it's not guaranteed that you filled the pool with "fresh" water.

And third, chlorine, MA and humans (and other sources) all add salt to your pool. It doesn't evaporate, so you're stuck with it.

One or all of those explain the remaining salt in your pool. You will always have salt in your pool, at least after a bit of time. There is no such thing as a salt-free pool.

Since you are mostly composed of salt water, it's not the salt that's causing your skin issues (IMO). The salinity of a saltwater pool is similar to that of your tears. Some foreign substance in the salt I suppose is possible, but seems unlikely.

If your CYA and FC test results are accurate, you're FC level is good, and shouldn't be causing any issue for you, unless you have a sensitivity to chlorine. I would think there would be tests for that.

When I was having skin issues with my pool, I'm pretty sure it was pH related. The pool guys were dumping in so much each visit, so it'd last until next visit, that for the first few days after they came each week, I'd be burning pretty good. Since finding TFP and switching to an SWG and automated acid dosing, both of which maintain very stable FC and pH levels without ever having to spike the chemicals to last for days, my skin irritation is gone.

What I might try if this were happening to me... do this for a week or two (assuming you're willing to subject yourself to this test). Follow TFPC to the letter, in terms of chemical levels. Make a point of testing and dosing at least once a day. Twice would be better. For a week solid before you get in again. What you're after is to establish good water balance, without ever spiking chemicals to get there. Minimal dosing to achieve good balance throughout the day. Then get into the pool, in between dosing times, when everything is well mixed in and the chemical balance is perfect, and then see if that affects your skin.

If you're 100% confident that you're testing correctly, and the water is balanced, and you still have skin issues, I can think of only three things:

1. you're not, in fact, testing correctly and the results are skewed somehow

2. you have sensitivities to normal pool chemicals, when the water is in balance, that you can't do anything about

3. something is in the water that is not being tested for that is causing your reaction

So, for:

1. Buy all new, fresh reagents (to rule out the possibility that you have bad test gear) and let someone else do the testing, several times in a row, without your coaching (to eliminate your testing procedures as the problem). Compare their results to yours, using your old set of reagents. This is one way to rule out testing error. Are you sampling your water from 18" below the surface? Away from returns and skimmers? From the same place every time? Is the water well circulated before you sample? Are you mixing the reagents adequately (order a SpeedStir is you don't have one)? Are you thoroughly cleaning your test equipment surfaces each time, in fresh, and then in newly-sampled pool water? Are you viewing your testing in adequate lighting, consistent from test to test? Do you store your reagents properly?

2. Swim in other peoples' chlorine pools, SWG and non-SWG, as much as possible and observe the results. Is it you, or only your pool?

3. Based on 1 and 2, you might be looking at a 100% drain and cleaning of your pool, so you can start over. (Though there are inherent dangers in emptying a pool that you need to be aware of before you attempt it). If you're testing your water correctly, and you're not having issues in anyone else's pool, then something is in your water that you have to get rid of. This is assuming you and your doctor have eliminated the other possibilities: did you start using a new laundry detergent? or soap? or suntan lotion? or set of towels? or bathing suit? etc...

Admittedly, these are some pretty radical ideas, but I'm just sharing them as possibilities, once you exhaust all the others...

Yes, the test kit was done with the Taylor 2006C. Also backed up with Pinch A Penny. PH was bit high today, but 3 days ago was in range. I won't go in unless I know its in range, but still hasn't made a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. Yes, we have been testing our own on a daily basis, but decided to go to the pool store today for the Salt ppm. Do you think the liquid chlorine could be the issue? Should we be using tabs instead and just shocking once a week with liquid chlorine. I am at a loss to figure out this irritation and rash.

Great.

How did you get TDS? It is not a number that means anything.

TA is only measured in factors of 10. So I assume you guessed at 85. Use 90.

The chlorine was using the FAS-DPD? TC is meaningless. Measure FC and CC.

Check the CC. As Jason said, it can create irritation.

Hi. Thank you.

We got the TDS from Pinch A Penny print out. Not sure how we test that with the Taylor 2006 kit. We just test the Total Chlorine which was 5.0, but this varies on a daily basis.
The TA was also done with the Taylor Kit and then backed up with Pinch A Penny. Ours read the same as there, this also changes on a daily basis.
How do we check CC ? I see it is on the Pinch A Penny Report, but it has a 0. Not sure they even test it. What should it be?
Their report shows this:
Total Chlorine: 5.0ppm, which is what we came up with on the Taylor 2006c
Free Chlorine: 5.0ppm

- - - Updated - - -

Also what is FAS-DPD? Is this a test?

Thank you so much for your help on this. You brought up some very good points.
I have not changed any laundry detergents, soaps, shampoos etc. Everything has stayed the same.
I was just in a Salt Water pool in the keys no weeks ago with no issues. I was in my neighbors pool which is salt water prior to having any issues, and had none going in there. After our pool starting having problems, I went in their pool again and had the same reaction.
We have started in the last 3 weeks adding our own chems and not having the pool company add anything, smaller does more frequently, so that we are not getting that heavy duty blast on the day they come.
I have an appt with an allergist next week to see if there is a way to test any of these chemicals at all to see if I have a allergy to it, but to me doesn't make sense that I had none until 2 months ago and also did not have any when I went into a salt water pool 2 weeks ago.
When my husband uses the Taylor 2006c test kit the numbers are matching up when we run it by Pinch A Penny as a back up.
You may be right, as was my thought that perhaps that whatever the salt was that they put in the pool, I had a sensitivity to it and some of it is still in there, but the pool company and Pinch a Penny state their salt is pure and never heard of a issue with it. Both say they never heard of this happening before.
The Taylor Kit is being used properly, cleaned etc., water circulated, same spot and depth every time away from skimmer etc.
Have been wracking our brains trying to figure it out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please clarify: "I went in their pool again and had the same reaction." You did or did not experience your skin issues in their pool?

IMO... Retesting at Pinch a Penny is not a "back up" and does not confirm or reveal anything. Pool store test results are not reliable. The proper way to confirm your test results is with an independent set of reagents, as I suggested before.

Do you think the liquid chlorine could be the issue?

No. Chlorine is chlorine.

Should we be using tabs instead.

No. Tabs are chlorine PLUS other chemicals (and chemicals you don't want in excess in your pool). That won't solve anything skin-wise, but could make balancing your water even more difficult.

shocking once a week with liquid chlorine.

Tabs and weekly shocking is typical pool store advice. It's bad advice even if you weren't chasing this skin issue. Shocking once a week is not only unnecessary for a properly maintained pool, it'll elevate your chlorine level significantly for some number of days, and how is that going to help your skin?

As I said, if this is happening in more than one pool, then it's you. You're experiencing a sensitivity or allergy you didn't have before. I think that happens.

If it's only happening in your pool, and you've experimented in enough others, recently, to confirm that, then it's your pool. Or something in your yard.

If the chemicals for which we can test are in range, then there's something else in your pool, so:

- either drain the pool, clean it somehow, and start again, or

- send a sample to a lab for analysis, to see if they can identify something that shouldn't be there. Getting that done is not all that difficult, if it comes to that.

Alternately, take samples of your water, and some other pool's that doesn't cause you trouble, and see if your doctor can test your skin with each. Is that a scratch test? Whatever.

Keep in mind I don't have any actual experience with most everything I'm sharing, just applying some troubleshooting logic to your plight.

For all I know it could be some animal or insect, some chemical part of which you're sensitive to, that has taken a liking to your pool, at night maybe, since you added the salt.

You just have to systematically eliminate one thing at a time until you can narrow it down. That's what I've been suggesting, how to eliminate possibilities: testing errors, you, your pool vs others, etc.

Thank you so much for the link to the You Tube. That certainly will help with the CC test. As just posted, assuming Pinch a penny is correct and CC is okay at a 0. I am still wondering if left over salt from whatever they put in the pool could be causing the problem, even though 2 months later. Only thing I can think of was some sort of additive in there. As noted earlier was just in a Saltwater Pool for three days down the keys and had no issues. The rash was still there from the week previous in my pool, but it did not aggravate it. When i go in the pool here, its immediate, burning, irritated etc.

Either tonight or tomorrow night, test your FC (that uses the FAS/DPD test with the powder and drops) Then tomorrow AM early before the sun is on your pool perform the identical test again. Tell us how much FC you lost between early evening test and the AM test/ Remove any other source of chlorine your pool may have (tabs, powder, etc).

This test is called an OCLT. I will be traveling for the next couple of days but everyone here can tell you if the results are meaningful.

Thank you so much for your input. To answer the first question, yes it is a reaction when I get in the pool, there is instant burning, irritation. About 1 hour later the itching gets severe and break out in pimple/hive like rash, this is mainly on my legs and arms. None on the torso, but I typically only go in to my waist, reason being, broken foot for last 5 months and have to be careful.
We have seriously considered emptying the pool as you said and starting all over again, but I also like your idea of testing the water to see if there is anything else in it that is not showing up. We do have a screened lanai, so would not be animals. Do you have any suggestions on where we could get this type of testing done?.
I do have an appt next week with an allergist, so I am hoping this might shed some light.
I am thinking on the lines at this point that whatever salt the pool company put in that day caused the problem and some of it is still in the pool. But again, just a guess.
I agree, that I prefer not to go with the tabs adding more chemicals.

- - - Updated - - -

It is instant when I get my legs in the water, it is a burning stinging sensation. It slowly lessens as I am in, however about one hour after I get it, I have severe itching which later turns to a pimple/hive like rash. This is mainly on my legs, some on my hands and arms. Nothing on my torso, back, chest etc. I usually just go in waist deep lately.

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw this, so will do this test tonight and tomorrow morning and let you know.

Broke my foot mid May, salt did not go into the pool until August 2nd. No rash from May until then. Was never on any meds for foot.

- - - Updated - - -

I can add this, which had me thinking. We did have a severe red tide outbreak here in SW Florida this year. They say that the toxins were airborne. It started to pretty bad about July/August. We are 2.5 miles from the water. I have been on several forums and people have agreed and disagreed as to whether these toxins could have got into pools from when it rained etc. I would think however that the chlorine would have killed anything. Spoke to my Dr and dermatologist about this and they both said, No. You could get a rash if you went into the ocean at the time it was really bad but wouldn't get in the pool. I had not been in the ocean since May. No issues from May to beginning of August. Was instant reaction when pool company added that last bag of salt, which was different that what Pinch a Penny added.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.