Advice please

JRo

Aug 13, 2019
Rockwall, TX
We are at 21 days since plaster. Today the pool cleaning guy came to clean the pool. I took pics to show my husband because it seemed like he was putting a lot of stuff in the pool. My husband is out of town and he said what was he adding becauseI just checked the levels and it wasn’t that off. I zoomed in and the bag said aqua salt. Of course it’s late now and they are closed so I can’t ask them. Is this going to ruin my plaster?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
jr,

We like to see 30 days before adding salt, but I really doubt it is going to hurt anything..

I am puzzled why they added any salt this time of year, as your SWCG won't work when the water temp is below about 55 degrees or so.. Mine is shut off for the winter. I just use Liquid Chlorine for the next few months.. The good news is that pools do not use a lot of FC when it is cold..

How about doing us a favor and updating your pool's signature...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the reply. My SWG hasn’t been turned on yet. I have just been trying to do everything perfectly with the pool from bonding to brushing and getting leaves out daily to ensure the best finish. This is what he added. Two bags plus a jug of what I assumed was acid. I thought it was odd that’s why I snapped the pic but I didn’t go out and question it because I assumed he knew what he was doing. I zoomed into the pic after I talked with my husband.

Attachments

• CB86D89E-12B3-49AA-92FB-8D040EF1F5E4.jpeg
    CB86D89E-12B3-49AA-92FB-8D040EF1F5E4.jpeg
    507 KB · Views: 24
80 lbs of salt in 20,000 gallons is 478 ppm.

You should know and keep track of what chemicals they add to your water if you are taking over pool care after 30 days. It helps to know what you have.

Do you have a test kit?

Not the salt one yet. Was looking to order before we were “supposed” to start using salt. This is all very new to us. I’m more concerned that when I went out to brush I could still see it clouding off the floor.

JR,

It's understandable and natural that you are a bit anxious about your pool. But you're ahead of the game by observing closely and checking things out and you can rest assured our experts have your back! If anything at all doesn't look right just drop us a note. You'll get the hang of this very quickly and you've started out right with great choices for your new pool.

It can take a little while for the salt to dissolve and fully dissipate. But no longer than overnight. Aqua salt is one of the more expensive brands and should be fine. Whenever you need to add just look for 100% pure salt and no additives. A lot of people use water softener salt and that's fine. It takes a little longer to dissolve than crystals but just make sure it doesn't have any additives. As Allen pointed out 2 bags is nowhere near enough for your chlorinator. I'd order the drop test kit K-1766 asap since it's the one recommended by our experts as most accurate. It's the easiest drop test you'll do. I've found it to be extremely repeatable. One kit has more reagent than you'll use in years and it's about $22 online.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: JRo and kimkats
Allen and Chris have you well covered with your concerns.

Here is my input-NO one will take care of your pool like you do. To a pool service it is just a job to get done with. Run in once a week, throw some stuff in the pool, run to the next house. Most of the time they don't even test. They "throw and go". They tend to add too much in hopes it will last until they get there next week. I AM very glad to hear your levels where not too far off.

Can you add what kind of filter you have please (sand, DE, Cartridge) as well as what test kit your use to your signature. That is very helpful info for to be able to see at a glance.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: setsailsoon
Depending on your comfort level, I would suggest you tell them not to come back and take over your own maintenance. Have you been brushing daily? Of course order the TF-100 test kit along with the K-1765 salt test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The owner of the pool company had someone out ASAP this morning. I brushed the pool to keep it moving off the bottom, even got up in the middle of the night to do it again. Since we are under 28 days of cure time I didn’t want it sitting at all. The guy said I did a good job and it does t appear to have done anything. I told them I don’t want any more salt added, I will take the above advice and use LC for now while it’s cold. I brush it twice a day everyday as I’ve been instructed, clean the baskets daily and skim the leaves. Thank you all for the help. I was so worried about compromising the integrity of the pebble, it was installed so beautifully. Salt test ordered today. Thank y’all so much!

JR,

You're off to a great start. Definitely keep your builder accountable. And don't hesitate to ask any questions here. As you can see our experts are extremely responsive. They love helping new pool owners!

We know your area well and I bet your new pool is gorgeous. We've got two new grand kids in the last month from Little Elm and Rockwalll area. Careful may be something in the water!

Congrats and good luck!

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.