Advice on what to buy - LED Laminar, valve & automation to work with existing equipment

TechieTiredPoolDad

Apr 30, 2023
Cumberland County, Maine
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Quick Summary:
  • Have:
    • Hayward Super Pump 700 (W3SP2603VSP)
    • Hayward HeatPro (HP21254T)
    • SR Smith PoolLUX LED’s (three Treo’s)
  • Adding:
    • Two LED Laminar Fountains
    • Diverter Valve for the laminars
  • Goals:
    • Ability to control Diverter valve (for fountain) with an App/Home Assistant (need)
    • Ability to control Laminar LED’s with an App/Home Assistant (preferably controlling the color via App, but if it’s just “on / off” control, so be it) (need)
    • Ability to tell when my Heat Pump has stopped running due to low flow (would be nice)
    • Ability to adjust pump speed up so the Heat Pump resumes working (would be nice)
    • Ability to see pool water temperature (low priority)
    • Ability to set HP temp set point (low priority)
    • Maybe the ability to add something that monitors chemicals and maybe an automatic chlorinator someday (not wanting to pay extra now for this capability in the future)

Full Explanation:
We had a pool put in late last year, we’re finishing the landscaping around it this year and we’re adding a pair of LED Laminars (conduit and plumbing already run). Everything around the house is controllable via Google Home or App, including the LED well Lights around the pool deck. I’m a techie / electrical guy, so I’m very comfortable with all this integration stuff. Existing LED’s in pool are SR Smith, which have zero “smarts” to them. I’ve rigged up a app-controlled on-off to cycle through the colors of those lights and turn them on/off. It is what it is. I’m trying to figure out what Laminars to buy, but I’m not sure if I should get something that works with the existing SR Smiths (I think I saw that the Jandy or maybe CMP Laminars said they can sync the Laminar LED’s with other OEM stuff), or if I just do something different, or maybe there’s something else that is “smarter” that can control my SR Smiths (though my extensive searching has yielded nothing). I’d like to be able to turn on the fountains / diverter valve with an app too. There are a lot of options out there for this, but I don’t know if there’s one that makes more sense that would set me up with other capabilities that would be “nice to have”. The “nice to have” that would really be helpful is something that would tell me if my flow is too low for my heat pump, and even better, an ability to turn up the VS pump speed to correct the situation temporarily (yes, I know that’s usually sign that it’s time for a backwash; let’s not get sidetracked). Of course, it’d be handy to know what the temp is and be able to adjust it, and maybe add some really-not-important other features some day (see "Goals" above), but I’m not looking to spend thousands on just the automation backbone right now. If a particular option is better suited to be able to set me up for the future, so be it, but if not, it’s not that important.

Welcome to TFP.

Look at what nodejs-poolcontroller can do…

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.