Advice on used salt generator

Jan 2, 2016
Milton, Ontario
Hello, I recently purchased a house with a pool that we want to convert to salt. Although I am willing to purchase a new unit I recently saw this add and wondered if this is worth buying. I realize I will have to buy a new cell however from what I understand other then the cell going these units are pretty stable. Please keep in mind I was told this unit was stored inside every winter as well. You're advice is as always greatly appreciated!

Hayward Turbo Cell T-Cell-15 Salt Generator | Hot Tubs Pools | Markham / York Region | Kijiji

There is no way of knowing how that cell was treated. Cells usually have a life of +/-10,00 hrs. And when I say treated” I don’t necessarily mean mis treatment of the cell. Variables would include: run time, percent, cleaning intervals, etc.

While tempting (price), I would not recommend buying a “used” cell.

It says that it needs a new cell. So, you're only buying the box. While I'm not a fan of used stuff in general, $125.00 isn't bad for a box that "probably" works.

Is there any buyer protection if the box doesn't work?

With only a 4,000 gallon pool you should be able to get a t-cell 5 for much less than a 15 (around $200 new) as well unless that unit can't take a 5..... Mine is supposed to handle any of the sizes.

I don't know how you can tell the software version but on another thread I found "You need software revision 1.5 or higher to use the low output cells". If you can find that out it might also give you an idea how old the system is

The T-cell 15 is usually the better choice.

Try to find out the serial number of the box.

Usually, the only thing that fails on the box is the thermistor. If you can solder, then that makes the box more valuable.

Maybe offer $50.00 for the box.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.