Advice on switching to SWCG

Ripple

Bronze Supporter
Aug 11, 2020
North Georgia
Hello good folks,

I am considering making the switch to a SWCG. I currently have a Nature2 Fusion (tablet feeder and mineral sanitizer) which I do not use (it's basically empty and serves no purpose). I am 100% on liquid chlorine.

I have been reading up on SWCG's but have no direct experience with them. It is my understanding that I will need to replace my pump as well as add the SWCG. Not knowing a lot about how the system works, I am looking for advice on my situation....... I currently have a Jandy/Zodiac system and utilize iAquaLink (version 1). I control everything from my phone and/or laptop. It is nice having everything integrated together and would like to maintain this if possible.

My questions are as follows:
  • Is replacing my pump required? My current pump is a single speed and is not very energy efficient. It is my understanding I will be running the pump more frequently with the SWCG and I will need a multi or variable speed pump.
  • The Nature2 Fusion Soft (SWCG and mineral sanitizer) would be a direct replacement for my Nature2 Fusion. I could use only the SWCG side and leave the mineral cartridge out of the system. However, the reviews I've read have not been very good and even my current Nature2 has been somewhat of a PIA replacing O-rings, leaks, etc.. Any thoughts on this?
  • I've read a lot of positive feedback on the Hayward AquaRite. I don't believe this will integrate into my Jandy/Zodiac iAquaLink system (please correct me if I am wrong). Does that matter? Is the SWCG somewhat of a "set it and forget it" or would I be making frequent adjustments and/or monitoring where it would helpful to have it integrated on my phone?
  • Finally, if integration/automation is only achievable with Jandy branded SWCG, would you recommend the AquaPure or Truclear?
Your advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time.

I can answer your first question, at least. It’s definitely not necessary to replace your pump, however SWCG aside there can definitely be some power saving advantages to replacing the pump.

If you get a SWCG rated for twice the capacity of your pool like we recommend then you would typically be looking at a minimum runtime of about 8 hours a day. If you are already running your pump for 8 hours a day then you probably wouldn’t really need to make much of a change.

If you are currently running your pump for less than 8 hours a day then you may need to increase the pump run time for the SWCG and that would increase the operating cost.

Either way, moving to a two speed or variable speed pump will save a considerable amount of electricity and can often pay for itself in a few seasons depending on the cost of electricity where you live.

Reactions: guinness and Ripple
I can answer your first question, at least. It’s definitely not necessary to replace your pump, however SWCG aside there can definitely be some power saving advantages to replacing the pump.

If you get a SWCG rated for twice the capacity of your pool like we recommend then you would typically be looking at a minimum runtime of about 8 hours a day. If you are already running your pump for 8 hours a day then you probably wouldn’t really need to make much of a change.

If you are currently running your pump for less than 8 hours a day then you may need to increase the pump run time for the SWCG and that would increase the operating cost.

Either way, moving to a two speed or variable speed pump will save a considerable amount of electricity and can often pay for itself in a few seasons depending on the cost of electricity where you live.

I currently run my pump 8 hours a day. Good to know a new pump is not required but would love to be more energy efficient. Georgia Power summer rates are a killer. Thanks for your help. Great info!

Well the Jandy SWCG does not get good reviews at all, most say do not buy... we try to stay away from anything Nature 2 as you well know now..

How does your pump now turn on and off? If it is on a timer you could do this....

Use the timer system to turn on and off the new SWCG and use the system that comes on the VSP pump...

What pump you say, The new V Green VSP pump :) I believe it connects to the Jandy pump and I believe it is the Square flange but please verify.. And they are having a sale right now :)

SWCG: I love me some curcupool, had mine running 9 months a year for 5 years... I did have to turn it up the last month but I always run my FC above 5 and mostly 7 FC, so high to say the least :)

You can't go wrong on a sale item :) the edge 40 and the core 55 would work nicely, The RJ 60+ has some questions lately..

Reactions: Ripple
Well the Jandy SWCG does not get good reviews at all, most say do not buy... we try to stay away from anything Nature 2 as you well know now..

How does your pump now turn on and off? If it is on a timer you could do this....

Use the timer system to turn on and off the new SWCG and use the system that comes on the VSP pump...

What pump you say, The new V Green VSP pump :) I believe it connects to the Jandy pump and I believe it is the Square flange but please verify.. And they are having a sale right now :)

SWCG: I love me some curcupool, had mine running 9 months a year for 5 years... I did have to turn it up the last month but I always run my FC above 5 and mostly 7 FC, so high to say the least :)

You can't go wrong on a sale item :) the edge 40 and the core 55 would work nicely, The RJ 60+ has some questions lately..

That is helpful, thanks. My pump turns on/off through the Jandy/Zodiac iAquaLink system which is automated through the website or via an app on my phone. I can change schedules, turn on/off the pump, lights, cleaner, spa, heater, etc... If I want to turn my pump on manually, I also do that through my phone. That's why I am looking for a SWCG that will integrate into my existing system (unless it is not necessary).

If you can connect a SWCG in the same way your pump is and turn it on and off it may make more sense to go with one of those SWCG above and replace your 1 speed with a VSP or 2 speed Jandy pump...

Or you could ask inyo if your pump could get a 2 speed replacement motor and use your pump end and be done :)

Reactions: Newdude
If you can connect a SWCG in the same way your pump is and turn it on and off it may make more sense to go with one of those SWCG above and replace your 1 speed with a VSP or 2 speed Jandy pump...

Or you could ask inyo if your pump could get a 2 speed replacement motor and use your pump end and be done :)

Since the SWCG will turn on with pump flow, is it necessary to have it on a timer? Won't it come on automatically when the pump comes on?

What are the questions regarding the RJ+? That actually looks like a good option for me since I am at 32k gallons including the spa.

I am finishing up my first year of experience with SWG (I have had pools in Illinois and Vegas for 20 yrs ish). Prior to SWG just used pucks and liquid CL. I personally love my SWG and hopefully will get many years out of it. To your questions:
  1. As others said, no new pump required but hey VSP is the way to go
  2. SWG set and forget.....well almost but being a pool owner you know nothing is totally set and forget. Now that I am in the sweet spot with my SWG, I test chems about once per week cause I like to watch things. Probably could get by with checking every couple of weeks if your water is stable (everyone is different). In my case FC is rock solid but PH creeps up and we like the water warm so I need to keep an eye on CSI (check out TFP pool math) so I don't get calcium build up on the water line....translation I simply add some MA every few weeks and that's it as far as chems.
  3. I only have the one season experience with CircuPool and so far love it. Their support was very responsive during my learning curve.
  4. Automation, I have Mickey Mouse automation, but works very well for me. I have no experience with Acqualink. I had a previous post on my automation. Very low cost, low tech solution but I can control quite a bit from my phone apps including SWG run time which is all you really need for SWG automation.

Since the SWCG will turn on with pump flow, is it necessary to have it on a timer? Won't it come on automatically when the pump comes on?
If the flow switch fails, which they do, the SWCG can explode due to the buildup of hydrogen gas if there is no water flowing through it.
Removing power from the SWCG is the Primary safety device. The flow switch is the Secondary safety device.

What are the questions regarding the RJ+? That actually looks like a good option for me since I am at 32k gallons including the spa.
Yes, if it is wired with the pump it will come on but VSP pumps work different, they get power directly and the computer turns it on and off not the automation unless you get the Jandy version of the VSP pump..

The RJ+ is a great system but there have been some (4) of the RJ60+ that are questionable on how much chlorine they are making.. My SJ and hundreds of other circupool models are working great so not sure what happened with those systems... I am being up front with you and will always be honest with everything I recommend, I think 4 is a very small amount...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am finishing up my first year of experience with SWG (I have had pools in Illinois and Vegas for 20 yrs ish). Prior to SWG just used pucks and liquid CL. I personally love my SWG and hopefully will get many years out of it. To your questions:
  2. SWG set and forget.....well almost but being a pool owner you know nothing is totally set and forget. Now that I am in the sweet spot with my SWG, I test chems about once per week cause I like to watch things. Probably could get by with checking every couple of weeks if your water is stable (everyone is different). In my case FC is rock solid but PH creeps up and we like the water warm so I need to keep an eye on CSI (check out TFP pool math) so I don't get calcium build up on the water line....translation I simply add some MA every few weeks and that's it as far as chems.
  3. I only have the one season experience with CircuPool and so far love it. Their support was very responsive during my learning curve.
  4. Automation, I have Mickey Mouse automation, but works very well for me. I have no experience with Acqualink. I had a previous post on my automation. Very low cost, low tech solution but I can control quite a bit from my phone apps including SWG run time which is all you really need for SWG automation.

Great info, thanks!

I see you have a spa as well. When you switch to spa mode, how does the SWG change the ratio of chlorine delivered to the spa versus the pool?

Once you get through the learning curve of the SWG , you wont ever go back.. I have a sparking pool all year!! With very little maintaining. Only need to add Acid and Salt and Stablizer. That’s it. And not very often.
and the water fells really nice, no burned eyes.

Was recently in a rental house with pool with SWG. I've had a few pools with SWG and one of the issues is jiggling pump run times to keep up with required cl production.
This rental house had a SWG with variable chlorine production, so pump time could stay fixed and cl production could be varied....0 - 200%. (Sure there is a consequence on electrode life.)
I really liked the system much easier to manage - and had a sparling pool.
Make of SWG Sterilor Duo (made in France - can you get them in US?)

Was recently in a rental house with pool with SWG. I've had a few pools with SWG and one of the issues is jiggling pump run times to keep up with required cl production.
This rental house had a SWG with variable chlorine production, so pump time could stay fixed and cl production could be varied....0 - 200%. (Sure there is a consequence on electrode life.)
I really liked the system much easier to manage - and had a sparling pool.
Make of SWG Sterilor Duo (made in France - can you get them in US?)

Actually, just about all the SWG’s I’ve seen allow you to adjust the output rate. (The only one I’ve seen that doesn’t allow this is the cheap Intex SWG). Some have finer control than others... some allow you to adjust the output in 5% increments and others are 25% increments, so you may still need to vary your pump runtime a little, but it would be unusual to find a SWG that doesn’t allow this adjustment at all.

I see you have a spa as well. When you switch to spa mode, how does the SWG change the ratio of chlorine delivered to the spa versus the pool?
I Don't worry about it. My spa has 6 returns and the pool has 5. Generally, the amount of time my spa is used is minimal. The extra chlorine generated will be offset by the spa bather load and that it will eventually turn back to the pool anyway.

I have my pool switch to spa mode for 30 minutes a day to circulate water through the spa return line.

On the pump and automation. I switched to a VSP a few years back. I have the pump wired with the regular single speed pump relay to turn it on and off with my automation. I then program the various hourly speeds on my pump itself in "standalone" mode. These days, I run 24/7 with fairly low speed (1050 RPM = 40 GPM). 4 hours per day, I run the pump at 2400 RPM (100 GPM) to allow the skimmers to really work.

In Houston, the pool is "open" 365 days a year, meaning we never do a drain/close. The VSP saves enough money to pay for itself in a year and I only pay 8.9 cents/kWh. If you run 3 months per year, it will take 4 years for the energy savings to pay off. If your electric rates are higher, it will also take less time to pay off. But the REAL advantage is that the slower speed with my cartridge filter, the pool will clean better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.