Advice on Replacing SWCG

May 31, 2016
West Grove, PA
23K gallon, SWCG pool, 7 years old.

We have a Jandy AquaPure FSOFT 1400. The cell went bad and the replacement cost (north of $600) was staggering so we didn't replace it. Now we're considering swapping the old Jandy SWCG for a new one.

Looking at a Calimar Platinum Series (CMARSSG60) which covers pools up to 60,000 gallons. We're told it's relatively easy to swap this in for our existing unit, compared to other company products. Also, at $799 for this unit, it's quite a bit less expensive than others and comes with a 5-year warranty.

Open to suggestions or ideas, as well as any feedback about Calimar.

Almost time to open!

I have not heard of anyone using the Calimar Platinum Series SWG. It looks like a Hayward Aquarite clone. You have to judge if they will stand behind their warranty claims.

Lots of folks here like the Circupool SWG's.

It is interesting that Calimar does not make this list. These folks have been a reputable supplier.

Reactions: sulman531
+1 for Circupool! Specifically, the RJ-60+ (60,000 gallons) That's what I decided on after much searching here on the forums and reading about others' experiences and opinions. A few hundred dollars cheaper than the competition and a better warranty. This is considering I am not moving to automation in the next 5+ years. If I were, I would go that route...with whatever automation company I choose so they would play together nicely.

I have to say though... $600 for a replacement cell is not all that far outside of the range compared to others. If you liked it and it lasted for 7 years, I suggest you do a lot of price shopping on the replacement cell costs of the popular competition before you decide to start all over with another install and associated upfront costs of a new unit. It may surprise you what replacement cells cost. I'm talking 60,000 gallon replacement cells from Jandy, Pentair, CircuPool, Hayward, etc. for comparison.

Thanks. Discountsaltpool is running a special: upgrade a size for $1. So, for a 23K gallon pool, the 45K system should suffice, correct? I could buy the 30K unit, and upgrade to the 45K for $1. The 60 would be an extra $250, so not sure the incremental efficiency is worth it. Also, a chat guy on the discount site said that it was fairly easy to swap this in for my existing Jandy. Thoughts?

Also, came across something referred to as a Jandy Aquapure Retrofit replacement system. Not sure if anyone has ever used something like this for Jandy or any other unit.

The 45k size would do you fine following the general rule of buy twice as large as your pool but I decided on the 60k system hoping it will last longer based on running easier (less current through the plates) and also have the ability for lots of headroom - being able to make a lot more when I may need it like some of the large parties I throw at least once a month.

The CircuPool RJ series is designed to easily replace your Jandy, Hayward and others. There are plenty of videos out there just in case you need help or ideas.

The CircuPool $1 upgrade sale runs almost constantly so don't let whatever deadline they have set make you rush to buy. There will be another $1 upgrade sale right behind this one. Buy when you are ready to install to maximize your warranty.

The Calimar Platinum Series is the same unit as the SGS Wave Series (and remarkably similar to Circupool SJ Series). SGS (Saline Generating Systems LLC) is now out of business and the units are being sold under the CMP (Custom Molded Products) brand. I have the Calimar 40K system and, despite it's limitations, has been a solid unit for two years.

7 years is not terribly bad for a salt cell. My strong advice is to buy a new cell and continue using the Jandy/FusionSoft. It is one of the best on the market. The cell is only 1/2 of the system your power supply should still be fine.

I've considered simply replacing the cell, but should have been clearer: I have had the pool for seven years, but the cell failed two years ago. My biggest concern is that dropping in a new cell won't fix the issue, but will only partially solve it. Fairly certain that the power is good: every time I've turned on the equipment (or been out there when the timer flipped it on), I heard a beep from the power unit telling me that the cell was disconnected. So I'd just buy a new cell, but it's like fixing one issue in an old car: another one inevitably pops up as soon as you get the car back!

Leaning toward the CircuPool RJ45+, but interested to hear any other thoughts on CircuPool vs other SWCG systems.

I've considered simply replacing the cell, but should have been clearer: I have had the pool for seven years, but the cell failed two years ago. My biggest concern is that dropping in a new cell won't fix the issue, but will only partially solve it. Fairly certain that the power is good: every time I've turned on the equipment (or been out there when the timer flipped it on), I heard a beep from the power unit telling me that the cell was disconnected. So I'd just buy a new cell, but it's like fixing one issue in an old car: another one inevitably pops up as soon as you get the car back!

Leaning toward the CircuPool RJ45+, but interested to hear any other thoughts on CircuPool vs other SWCG systems.

Have you called Jandy to discuss? Their customer support is actually quite good it's possible they might send you a new cell under warranty if it only lasted 2 seasons. Also when I power mine up, it beeps as well. But this doesn't indicate it is disconnected. What does your old cell look like can you post a picture of the blades? Also how are you testing your water? Would you post a full set of test including pH and such? Longevity of salt cells is directly proportional to proper water balance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.